Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Singkiasu
    3. Posts
    S
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 2
    • Posts 79
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: DSA 2014

      Thanks for inserting the link

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: DSA 2014

      Thanks for inserting the link

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: DSA 2014

      Dear parents,


      Has anyone made any table or list of schools about DSA open house, registration dates, test dates etc consolidated in one tabular from?

      If so, can your please share it others? It will be really useful šŸ™‚

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: 2014 dates of secondary schools open house

      SJ I school website- open house registration form indicates. ..All 3 sessions are full !

      What to do? Unable to register for the open house? Can I simply walk in on that day? :scratchhead:

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: 2014 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      Your time for prep now is a bit short, but hopefully with the right time of focus, it can work. Check with them if they have available slots - their classes tend to be very full.[/quote]


      Thank you very much pen88n, will check it out.

      yeah, I don't have much time ... right now, I need to drill him, boost his confidence level ( and also mine) :xedfingers:

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: 2014 PSLE Discussions and Strategy

      Hi Parents,


      My son is in P6, just got his CA 1 results.. disappointed to the core šŸ˜ž

      6 more months.... I need to push his score from B to A...

      need help in English...can anybody recommend tuition center or a tutor who can give intensive, constructive, exam oriented coaching 🤷

      I am looking for a reply from the parents (only!) who has sent their child to English tuition

      help....me!

      help in need is help indeed :imdrowning:

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: OnSponge Maths - Discussion

      NickleBee Tutors:
      Singkiasu:

      Dear Parents,


      My son has just entered P5 & he is in Punggol Primary school. I am looking for tutions. Here, I find lot of recommendations for onsponge. How is the hougang branch? I feel 1:10 ( group size) is big :xedfingers:

      Can anybody recommend a good home tutor or a good tution centre ( near Hougang area) prefarably 1:4 group size.

      Thanks in advance

      Good day,

      If you're looking for a tutor who incorporates elements of Mr Ammiel Wan's \"Cognitive Conceptual Approach in Learning Mathematics\" as used in both the Onsponge and Visible Thinking in Mathematics books (both by Mr Ammiel Wan) into his teaching methodology, perhaps you might like to visit http://www.nicklebeetutors.com.


      Note that Mr Ammiel Wan first developed the cognitive conceptual approach and published it in a book \"Challenging Math Problems Made Easy\" way back in 2006. If I am not wrong, he was the HOD of curriculum in Catholic High back then.

      Anyway, from what i understand, Onsponge then partnered with Mr Ammiel Wan in 2008 to use and develop his mathematics teaching concepts into the Onsponge series of assessment books as sold today.

      The Onsponge books are an awesome resource (if a bit dated) for students wanting to learn the various conceptual knowledge required to ace Problem Sums in the Math Paper 2. Personally, while I admire the way Mr Ammiel Wan has revolutionized the approach to teaching students mathematics as it gels in very well with my own teaching methodology, I personally feel that the some of the procedural knowledge (methods) as taught in the Onsponge Books are quite cumbersome and rather lacking in fineness as they seem geared towards higher ability students who already have a working knowledge of problem solving and are just looking for a boost to fine tune the nuances of their problem solving capability. For other students who are still in the process of improving their problem solving skills, the way the books are structured has an unfortunate and unintended side-effect (if not taught correctly) of encouraging rote learning and blind application of methods (based on how the child thinks the question should be categorized) without understanding that problem solving is a process where the means is very much as important as the ends.

      While I do use the Onsponge books for my students because the questions are excellent (on par with top schools math exam questions), I do not use the methods as taught in the examples as I feel that once the child has read to understand the questions and can apply the same conceptual knowledge to questions with different contexts, the child should then be allowed to apply his innate reasoning and analytical skills to present whichever methods he so chooses in a clear and concise manner under my personal guidance. Of course I fine tune and tweak each child's methods to make them clearer and more presentable and after which, I would then show a couple of alternative methods to my students to expose them to different though processes to deriving the answer and in so doing strengthen their grasp of the concepts. I also have a habit of making my students present their though processes (all the way from reading the question to getting the final answer) to the rest of the class as I find that it helps the student's metacognition (thinking about their own thought process) and allow me to spot any inadequacies in the child's mathematical thought process or errors in their conceptual knowledge which can be improved further.

      Anyway, Mr Ammiel Wan left the teaching service sometime last year (his last appointment was vice-principle of Rosyth Primary) and has started \"Visible Math\" (http://www.visiblemath.com.sg) with Mr Steward Teng (former HOD) and other HODs and Teachers. He has also recognized that the Onsponge books are heavily geared towards Paper 2 Maths and has published a series of workbooks in 2011 called \"Visible Thinking in Mathematics\" available in Popular which are aimed at helping weaker students improve their basic mathematical concepts through the use of the Cognitive Conceptual Approach and while the answer sheets contain quite a number of glaringly obvious errors at least in the Pri 5 books that I use for my students (it is the 1st edition after all), I feel that the books are a must have for any student wanting to use them as a spring board to improving their basic math concepts before proceeding onto acing their problem solving questions.

      Yours
      Zhou Shicai
      NickleBee Tutors
      91884710
      http://www.nicklebeetutors.com


      Thank you very much for the detailed response šŸ™‚ will get back to soon- Thank you once again.

      posted in Mathematics
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: OnSponge Maths - Discussion

      :? No response ????

      :scratchhead:


      Singkiasu:
      Dear Parents,

      My son has just entered P5 & he is in Punggol Primary school. I am looking for tutions. Here, I find lot of recommendations for onsponge. How is the hougang branch? I feel 1:10 ( group size) is big :xedfingers:

      Can anybody recommend a good home tutor or a good tution centre ( near Hougang area) prefarably 1:4 group size.

      Thanks in advance

      posted in Mathematics
      S
      Singkiasu
    • RE: OnSponge Maths - Discussion

      Dear Parents,


      My son has just entered P5 & he is in Punggol Primary school. I am looking for tutions. Here, I find lot of recommendations for onsponge. How is the hougang branch? I feel 1:10 ( group size) is big :xedfingers:

      Can anybody recommend a good home tutor or a good tution centre ( near Hougang area) prefarably 1:4 group size.

      Thanks in advance

      posted in Mathematics
      S
      Singkiasu
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy