DSA Appeal 2011
-
DVL:
Agreed wholeheartedly!
I can bet with you if today your DS/DD scores lower than the COP of your 2nd choice DSAed school, you will say \"heng ar\" and happily accept the 2nd choice. Then out of sudden, there is no more noises, no more MOE is unfair, no more importance to go 1st choice dream school....Becoz now the 2nd choice DSAed school has become the dream school..ycpang:
[quote=\"LongPimple\"]I agree with you wholeheartedly. We cannot be deprived of DSA re-Appeal just like that. I am speaking for the parents who wish their child the best of education, the needs of the many. We ( parents and child ) have spent years of effort, money, love to groom our child. All this cannot be measured, yet we are turned down by a simple “no Appeal for DSA students”. Deep in our heart, we know your child who did well in PSLE, qualifies for his first choice school ( which literally a “dream” school now), simply have to accept the 2nd choice. What parents are we if we are not fighting for them ?
I heard NYGS short of appeals of potential DSA students and have to pathetically accept Appeals from those less than COP and I even heard some schools charged $20 \"Appeal fee\" to DSA students knowing that they are not going to be successful. What is this!
Should acceptance of DSA be done after the PSLE result ? MOE should lift this restriction now! ( not next batch onwards ). I will be writing to them.
I am quite bemused by these statements of \"unfairness\" and call for MOE to apologise for their \"mistakes\".
As parents, we all want the best for our kids. Since we all want the best for our kids, shouldn't we do some due diligence before committing to any COs? I am sure by checking with the school you had received CO from or even checking this forum, you would be aware that there is a strong possibility that MOE would enforce this no appeal rule. From receiving a CO to acceptance, parents have plenty of time to consider, do due diligence and make an informed decision. Why blame others or cry foul when your DS/DD achieved a higher T-score? Also, how can it be unfair when the same rule applies to everyone in the same cohort?
Unlike S1 posting, MOE had never stated the in the DSA process about appeal after acceptance. Yes, it was a practice to allow appeal previously but if you choose to assume that MOE would continue this practice, do you honestly think it is the fault of MOE? I laughed when I read a post saying that MOE should apologise so that we could teach our kids that even the elites would also make mistake. Instead, I think the lessons we could impart to our kids :
1) make your decision wisely and take personal responsibility for the decision made
2) honour your commitment and words[/quote] :goodpost: -
wonderm
pg 17. time 17:17. so zhun. -
verykiasu2010:
Agree wholeheartedly!there is nothing for MOE to apologise
parents knowingly accepted the DSA CO and now claimed not aware no transfer is allowed is all \"act blurr\" and pretend no such regulation before.
parents took the chance by accepting the so-called \"second choice\" DSA school as a back up and hoping for a transfer if PSLE turns out to above the cut off point of the \"dream school\" ...... well, if the schools continue to allow it and MOE closes both eyes on the transfer..... then there is nothing we can say and we happily go along and \"game\" the system and exploit the loop hole. but the risk is there .... they can strictly enforce the rule anytime. nothing wrong.
i am sorry for the parents / child who think this is unfair, but then you have been taking a risk too to exploit the loop hole, admit it. and now the gamble back fired....just say bad luck lah and move on lor ..... after all the \"second choice\" DSA school is actually the \"dream school\" if the PSLE score had been lower than the cop of the second choice school
LTA has been saying 3/4 tank petrol is required before going across to JB ..... but if they have not been checking and you have been cheating and not caught.....well what is over is over, but if today they decide to check every car and you are caught, you cannot claim don't know lar ....(may not be the best analogy, but you understand what I mean).
for those parents / child in past years who benefited from the transfer permission, well, lucky lor
declaration : I used to subscribe to the \"commitment\" of DSA option until I realised the schools were openly co-ordinating on the transfers.
well, if it happens to me this year, then I would have to say too bad no transfer lor .....
that is why one should only accept the DSA CO if the child does not mind going to the school which gives the CO. else just decline and wait for PSLE result, as the exams were done before the DSA acceptance date
okay better :siam: :siam: :siam:

There are many posts talking about what is the right thing to do. Personally, I think it is important to honor one's commitment. However, as parent myself, I fully understand the kiasu mentality and won't blame those who choose to play safe first. If the system allows transfer after PSLE results, I also won't blame those who take the chance to transfer to their initial dream school. In fact, I have many friends who did that for their children in past years, I was happy for them too.
If we really look at it objectively, we would agree this was a \"loop\" hole in the past and it is increasingly making the DSA process a waste of time for many schools and students. Hence, it should not be a surprise MOE decides to plug the hole. -
zeemimi:
wonderm
pg 17. time 17:17. so zhun.
-
I think MOE must let the child and parent to make the final decision as which school they like regardless of their psle result cos at the end of the day it is the child that do the studies not MOE. MOE job is to build more classrooms for popular schools and tear down unpopular schools.
-
looking4Tutor:
I think MOE must let the child and parent to make the final decision as which school they like regardless of their psle result cos at the end of the day it is the child that do the studies not MOE. MOE job is to build more classrooms for popular schools and tear down unpopular schools.
No need so troublesome lar. Just change all the schools' names to \"Rxxxxxx\" can liao.... -
I feel sad for those who accepted CO for DSA but changed their minds later and wanted to change to another school but were unsuccessful.
I feel even sadder for those hopeful but unsuccessful students on the waiting list who cannot get into their choice schools, cos the DSA-ed students are unable to vacate the school for their choice school.
My DD has 2 friends who DSA-ed successfully to a certain school and after PSLE results tried to appeal to their choice school (DSA-ed previously but failed to get in) but are unsuccessful even with good scores.
Her friends told her that they will be stucked in that school for the next 6 years. Really sad… especially when there are other hopefuls for that school… -
carebear:
This is a reflection of real life....decision made and can't turn back...just have to make good with the decision and move on....I feel sad for those who accepted CO for DSA but changed their minds later and wanted to change to another school but were unsuccessful.
I feel even sadder for those hopeful but unsuccessful students on the waiting list who cannot get into their choice schools, cos the DSA-ed students are unable to vacate the school for their choice school.
My DD has 2 friends who DSA-ed successfully to a certain school and after PSLE results tried to appeal to their choice school (DSA-ed previously but failed to get in) but are unsuccessful even with good scores.
Her friends told her that they will be stucked in that school for the next 6 years. Really sad..... especially when there are other hopefuls for that school....... -
Rich dad poor dad:
Yup it's true.....but pity the kids.....decision making is becoming earlier and earlier in life.
This is a reflection of real life....decision made and can't turn back...just have to make good with the decision and move on....carebear:
I feel sad for those who accepted CO for DSA but changed their minds later and wanted to change to another school but were unsuccessful.
I feel even sadder for those hopeful but unsuccessful students on the waiting list who cannot get into their choice schools, cos the DSA-ed students are unable to vacate the school for their choice school.
My DD has 2 friends who DSA-ed successfully to a certain school and after PSLE results tried to appeal to their choice school (DSA-ed previously but failed to get in) but are unsuccessful even with good scores.
Her friends told her that they will be stucked in that school for the next 6 years. Really sad..... especially when there are other hopefuls for that school.......
Luckily my DD did not follow her friends footsteps and DSA to this particular school, cos I told her if she is not keen on that school then better not, and that it was better to concentrate on studying for the PSLE to get to the school of her choice.
But sad....cos these 2 are her good friends, and they have so much in common. -
ycpang:
In China, they have this practice of branded schools setting up branch schools. For example, \"Rx\" Jurong Branch, \"Rx\" Tampines etc...looking4Tutor:
I think MOE must let the child and parent to make the final decision as which school they like regardless of their psle result cos at the end of the day it is the child that do the studies not MOE. MOE job is to build more classrooms for popular schools and tear down unpopular schools.
No need so troublesome lar. Just change all the schools' names to \"Rxxxxxx\" can liao....
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login