Comparing Enrichment Programme versus Private Tutor
-
jacktutor:
Home tuition vs tuition centre, what do you think? I have a student whose parent pulled her out from the tuition centre, because she just wasn't making any progress. Does this happen to anyone out there?
I believe you are a home tutor. Home tution is better for weaker kids who need more individual attention, especially for Maths. Tuition centre is like classroom environment, with more interaction. The kids can also learn from other kids in the class. However, it is more suitable for average kids. -
Depends. But 1-to-1 will definitely give the required attention to your child I feel. In terms of interaction, it will allow more opportunities for your child to speak up and talk to the tutor too. In centres, some may be too shy to talk in front of a crowd. Need to build up their communication skills in the language first. My child had 1-to-1 tuition in Chinese with an undergrad tutor before and she was really interactive, providing her own teaching materials and videos to engage my child

-
I think whether which is better depending on the kids too. If the child is shy, he/she will not speak out and will not throw questions too. When my gal was in enrichment center, she used English to communicate with classmates.
-
novels:
I think whether which is better depending on the kids too. If the child is shy, he/she will not speak out and will not throw questions too. When my gal was in enrichment center, she used English to communicate with classmates.
agree. So far, I prefer full time mature tutor, more suitable for my primary-school son. I tried those undergraduates before, they are always looking at handphones, take leave to prepare for their exams.. -
Cannot get undergraduates…they are not professional, inexperienced and don’t even know school syllabus.
Even school teachers may not be pro if they just use assessment books.
My son had 1-1 for Math and Chinese…customized to his level of weakness/understanding. -
bellymummy:
Agreed... I like grp tuition for my girls bcos they find it more fun. I send my kids to a place where 6 students / class is the max. They enjoy it a lot. My younger girl is funny though.. she loves theier class bcos the worksheets are in full colour. haha. well i take what I can get! As long as she is excited to go, I will send.I think group tuition is quite effective if its a small group. kids can make friends and interaction helps them grow up and learn how to interact with others.
I always believe that for languages, its better to be in a centre, so the kids can talk in proper english or chinese with each other. The teacher must also be good and strict with the way they get them to chat and talk to each other too. -
litmuspaper:
wow...worksheets are coloured! Which centre is that?
sent you a PM.:) -
Hi everyone,
My son will be going to P1 next year. I am looking for a good and reliable math tutor or math tuition centre. Any recommended one? I am staying in clementi.
Many thanks. -
Hi,
May I know what is your budget for one lesson? -
There are merits in both, depending on the need of the student to achieve the desired results. So long as group tuition is not done in a one-way lecturing style in a big classroom but interactive with hands-on exercise to practise and polish the skills of Q&A, the effect is about the same as 1-1 tuition, attention does not make or break the learning session.
To compensate for loss of attention in a group tuition, the training materials and methods play an important part, in other words, ask: what are they doing during group tuition and what had they learned for the day?
Of course, group tuition can never do better than 1-1 tuition, ceteris paribus, in terms of customisation and pin-pointing attention given, but the end result may still vary, some students in group tuition may still do better than 1-1 student, if they have some good materials on hand with the right approach to work out and write their answers that score with flying colours.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login