Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    In-law problems?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Relationships
    5.3k Posts 331 Posters 1.4m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • B Offline
      buds
      last edited by

      Andaiz:
      To plagarize markfch (aka copy shamelessly 😐 šŸ˜ž \"Liddat you think I dare to let them take care of ds or not? \"

      The very 1st time i trusted them (PIL), i went out in anxiety and just
      kept thinking of going back cos they normally just the touch and go,
      hi and bye, wash hands off type.. not the kind who will jaga from
      daylight to daybreak sort. More to just play play awhile and thats
      it.

      When i came back i wanted to cry when my girls said they were soooo
      hungry and waited so long for us to get back. I saw that the food i cooled
      in their bowls cold and untouched and the milk i prepared (to be taken shortly after dinner) followed by sleep time.. was also untouched.

      Worse was, the girls were still so messy and in their day clothes.
      Yup, they haven't even taken their shower. They were sticky and smelly
      and dirty from a whole day's play. They also said they were very tired...
      I felt so guilty & unhappy that i agreed to go out with hubs after seeing
      the girls like that when we came back. šŸ˜ž I was so so so soo sooo sad...

      I never wanted it to happen again. šŸ˜ž

      I knew hubs was somehow surprised & sad too, he didn't say anything but
      he helped me with the girls and also with feeding and milk later on. Men
      mah.. single antenna and solve the problem kind. Negative things just
      hold. In a way, it can be a good thing if women can do that.

      Just a lotta swallowing loh..

      I decided not to say anything that night since hubs somehow felt what i
      felt and automatically came to my aid with the girls after we arrived back.
      In a way, while words were unspoken... the mutual feelings were there.
      So no words were needed. :love: I did sway my thoughts aloud to the gals
      though, like \"Oh my poor babies.. i shouldn't have left you..\" and \"I feel
      so bad...\" but all DD1 said after that was, \"So how? Did you and daddy
      enjoy yourself with the show? Was it good? Hope you two had a fun day.\"

      😢 More guilty! 😢 Tho' it was so sweet of her!

      We were told to enjoy ourselves when we left and MIL said dun worry
      the girls will be fine. She'd take care of things. We came back with her
      glued to the TV and i cud hear the girls crying in the room. Suffice to say,
      i learnt my lesson... šŸ˜ž

      I trusted her enuf to entrust and leave the girls in her care, but i was
      disappointed that even the basics of child care wasn't gao tim...
      despite preparations and instructions given by hubs.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • A Offline
        Andaiz
        last edited by

        Like you said, buds jie, we NOW know better! Really gotta close TWO eyes loh! :shock:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • H Offline
          hquek
          last edited by

          From time to time, DH and I will leave DSes under the care of MIL. But then more than not, when we get home a couple of hours later, MIL will be nodding away (counting z’s) on the sofa/floor and DSes left to their own devices.


          And DH sometimes get antsy when i tell him I rather not have his mum come over (ie we should just bring the kids whereever we go).

          But to her credit - my kids will have their milk and whatever - so long as instructions are left for her.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • A Offline
            Andaiz
            last edited by

            hquek:
            From time to time, DH and I will leave DSes under the care of MIL. But then more than not, when we get home a couple of hours later, MIL will be nodding away (counting z's) on the sofa/floor and DSes left to their own devices.


            And DH sometimes get antsy when i tell him I rather not have his mum come over (ie we should just bring the kids whereever we go).

            But to her credit - my kids will have their milk and whatever - so long as instructions are left for her.
            Yeah, it probably is very tiring for them...yet MIL can insinuate to my mum whenever they get on the phone, \"haiyah, they are getting bigger already, so easier to look after!!\"

            BTW, just to share, I I scoop the formula, mark the level of water with Masking tape and arrow the TOP of that so that the levels clearly spelt out as well. Still sometimes it doesn't get done! I have to swallow hard and then explain to my poor dears that nai nai must have thought you girls were too full already!

            Sigh!

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • T Offline
              tree nymph
              last edited by

              Andaiz:
              Like you said, buds jie, we NOW know better! Really gotta close TWO eyes loh! :shock:

              don't forget the ears too!!!

              :roll: :roll: šŸ˜‰ šŸ˜‰

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • T Offline
                tree nymph
                last edited by

                Andaiz:

                Yeah, it probably is very tiring for them...yet MIL can insinuate to my mum whenever they get on the phone, \"haiyah, they are getting bigger already, so easier to look after!!\"

                BTW, just to share, I I scoop the formula, mark the level of water with Masking tape and arrow the TOP of that so that the levels clearly spelt out as well. Still sometimes it doesn't get done! I have to swallow hard and then explain to my poor dears that nai nai must have thought you girls were too full already!

                Sigh!
                On the rare occasion when my maid went back for home leave, I have to ask my MIL to look after the baby for a few hours so i can do marketing. I did just what you had done.

                I first put in the required cool water in the milk bottle. Then I mark out on the bottle the required full amount, so she just need to top up with HOT water to the mark. After that, I scoop the formula, put it into the container so that she just need to shake it into the bottle. Very simple right? Still,.....

                so conclusion, she doesn't want to make milk. So, I don't leave the kids with her without the maid.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • Z Offline
                  ZacK
                  last edited by

                  buds:
                  but all DD1 said after that was, \"So how? Did you and daddy

                  enjoy yourself with the show? Was it good? Hope you two had a fun day.\"
                  Your DD1 is sooooo sweet... There is certainly a quality in her to think of others before herself šŸ˜‰

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • W Offline
                    winth
                    last edited by

                    Actually, nowadays, I have learnt to be in harmony with MIL by using other ways to approach her.


                    As time passes, she kinda realise what type of person or DIL I am so that we won't start crossing each other's paths. She doesn't roll her eyes on me or start gossiping with her sisters within my earshot anymore (or maybe, it's because we have reduced such gatherings that there was actually no such chance šŸ˜‰).

                    She doesn't cook dinner as nice as my mum (DH can vouch for that), but I have learnt to swallow my food and drink the soup that she has broiled to please her. It wasn't easy making DS1 & DS2 eat the food she cooks, but I have learnt from DH to handle such sticky situations in a more amiable way. Just fill the bowl of rice to the minimal, let them eat some ꄏꀝꄏꀝ to please her, so that it won't seem like they won't finish the food. If they are hungry, just let them have supper to fill their stomaches. I had always forced the rice down their throats cos I was 'afraid' that they would not be full. And it would always make me look like a terrible mother and exaggerate the fact that the dinner was not good. Not only that, it had caused more unease at the dinner table.

                    There was once, MIL announced a week before that she would be cooking curry on the following Saturday for dinner. It happened so coincidentally that my mum cooked curry on Friday night when we went for dinner. Mum's curry was delicious and we usually have 2 big bowls. The next day, MIL's curry was so disappointingly tasteless that DH could barely finish one. On our way home, he said, 'Luckily your mum cooked curry the night before, if not, I wouldn't even realised I had eaten curry just now.'

                    The very next weekend, DH told me excitedly that he received news that MIL is cooking western food. I was emotionless and said, 'okay'. There, I just digged in and finished my portion as usual. On the way back, I told DH, 'See, no expectations so that you won't have disappointments, but the canned baked beans was nice.' DH was saying that he had such expectations that night but he just laughed off saying, 'well at least the fries were crunchy'.

                    Activity after dinner is okay too, cos I would always keep myself occupied with newspapers and entertainment gossips, while they yak away about their family woes. DH seems less stressed up now though the stuff that he hears is still the unhappiness. He told me it's because the children and I are taken away and he has one less thing to worry about.

                    Other than that, DH allows me to take 'breaks' from SIL by not attending weekly family dinners. So, I kinda found a good balance with my ILs.

                    not for SIL and her hubby though, her high-pitched voice and vast breath (č®²äøåœ) still annoys me. Think I need more years of 'training' with her

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      mummy of 2
                      last edited by

                      winth:
                      Other than that, DH allows me to take 'breaks' from SIL by not attending weekly family dinners. So, I kinda found a good balance with my ILs.

                      You are so lucky can take break from SIL. Mine comes to my house so I have no way of escape. šŸ˜ž In fact MIL was upset that we did not invite SIL to join us when we went for holiday. So now I have to give up family vacation, in order not to upset MIL. Till today I still can't understand why we MUST include her. Isn't it (more than) enoughthat we see them every week??

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • A Offline
                        auntieM
                        last edited by

                        My MIL only want to eat out.. ...easier mah..

                        My SIL back from Shanghai and DH mentioned to me.. ... I pretend didn't hear..
                        No mood for dramas šŸ˜›

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 147
                        • 148
                        • 149
                        • 150
                        • 151
                        • 528
                        • 529
                        • 149 / 529
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy