Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Age Limit for Learning Piano

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Music, Singing, Dancing, Speech & Drama
    13 Posts 7 Posters 5.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • M Offline
      maggielhy
      last edited by

      Hi, I know I may sound rather silly, but is there an age range for piano beginners?


      I heard that an adult will be less agile with his fingers, so it’s rather difficult to pick up piano skills.

      Is that true?

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • M Offline
        markfch
        last edited by

        I guess it depends on what you hope to achieve. If you want to turn professional, then as an adult I think you've missed the boat. But if you just want to learn piano playing for personal enjoyment, then I don't think there is an age limit to being with.


        I took beginner lessons while in my thirties; I know of someone who's taking beginner lessons after her semi-retirement and in the piano forums, I heard of people taking lessons in their seventies.

        So what if my fingers are less agile now and my teacher spotted so many mistakes. When I play Beatles hits, I felt like I'm John Lennon despite all my mistakes. 😉

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          SnowieBob
          last edited by

          Theres no age limit, yes your fingers will need a lot practice for your muscles to build up. The flexibility too. I have a student, the mother is also learning from me around 40s. She is preparing to go for exam grade 2!

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • M Offline
            maggielhy
            last edited by

            thanks for the encouragement, markfch and snowiebob.


            I am not exactly keen on exam grades. Just want to know how to play. Guess i will give it a try soon. Gotta get a piano first i guess 🙂

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • P Offline
              peanut_butter
              last edited by

              I can't use my thump card \"Tell your mother to see me next week!\" when matured students don't practice.


              Failure is due to the lack of application, not youth. Most adults have much commitments and nobody to account to, which makes it easy for them to skip practice. That in turn leads to little progress and large dose of disappointment.

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • D Offline
                Dreamaurora
                last edited by

                No I do not subscribe to this belief. I myself started learning from scratch at the age of 17 with only military band background (played saxophone, so at least can read treble clef) and quickly picked up the instrument. Entered NAFA full time to study piano and graduated with Honours. Now teaching full time and performing comfortably within my circles.


                First, it is not true that adults will not be more agile. HOWEVER, it is true that adults will acquire the dexterity required to play more complex pieces more slowly. Another factor that adults will be a lot more prone to stage fright than young children because of the self-consciousness, and this may cause difficulties in performing or taking exams. But other than that with dedication and disciplined routine, an adult can be trained to play to post-grade 8 comfortably. I know because the majority of my students are teenagers and adults.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  poppy15
                  last edited by

                  markfch:
                  I guess it depends on what you hope to achieve. If you want to turn professional, then as an adult I think you've missed the boat. But if you just want to learn piano playing for personal enjoyment, then I don't think there is an age limit to being with.


                  I took beginner lessons while in my thirties; I know of someone who's taking beginner lessons after her semi-retirement and in the piano forums, I heard of people taking lessons in their seventies.

                  So what if my fingers are less agile now and my teacher spotted so many mistakes. When I play Beatles hits, I felt like I'm John Lennon despite all my mistakes. 😉
                  hi markfch, can i know where u took up piano lessons & what are the fees involved? i wld like to take up piano as well, just for lesiure.

                  or anyone out there, kindly advise. tks.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    markfch
                    last edited by

                    poppy15:
                    hi markfch, can i know where u took up piano lessons & what are the fees involved? i wld like to take up piano as well, just for lesiure.


                    or anyone out there, kindly advise. tks.
                    I took my lessons at Yamaha in Clementi as it was quite near my place. Sch fees was about $150 per mth. I only learned those pop songs that I liked, especially those from my era aka Beatles, Carpenters. Luckily my T was pretty good in sight reading cos I always get her to play those songs first. Due to the age gap, she was not familar with most of the songs that I selected. So paiseh. :oops:

                    Did throw in some simplified classical songs just for the thrill.

                    Though I played with loads of mistakes, I enjoyed an in-the-zone blissful kind of feeling whenever I practise in the privacy of my home. It's like life can throw all sorts of unexpected problems at me, but when I'm with my piano, life can also be wonderful. It's a priceless kind of feeling, I can tell you that. :imcool:

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • P Offline
                      poppy15
                      last edited by

                      markfch:
                      poppy15:

                      hi markfch, can i know where u took up piano lessons & what are the fees involved? i wld like to take up piano as well, just for lesiure.


                      or anyone out there, kindly advise. tks.

                      I took my lessons at Yamaha in Clementi as it was quite near my place. Sch fees was about $150 per mth. I only learned those pop songs that I liked, especially those from my era aka Beatles, Carpenters. Luckily my T was pretty good in sight reading cos I always get her to play those songs first. Due to the age gap, she was not familar with most of the songs that I selected. So paiseh. :oops:

                      Did throw in some simplified classical songs just for the thrill.

                      Though I played with loads of mistakes, I enjoyed an in-the-zone blissful kind of feeling whenever I practise in the privacy of my home. It's like life can throw all sorts of unexpected problems at me, but when I'm with my piano, life can also be wonderful. It's a priceless kind of feeling, I can tell you that. :imcool:

                      yeah, i get what u mean. my neighbour (20 years ago) used to play those TV drama 主题 song. she listen, then she work out the treble & bass clef herself, wrote the scores & played beautifully.

                      i so wished to play like her. :oops:
                      but lazy mum here dun think i hv the time & $$$$ :sad:

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • L Offline
                        LANCEKLUSENER
                        last edited by

                        Well The ideal age to learn the piano is Childhood because to learn is not so simple . In my view an ideal age for learning piano is 15 years .



                        http://www.facebook.com/vishalb

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 1 / 2
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        LfangL
                        Lfang

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy