Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    GEP 2011 - Screening & Selection

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    2.0k Posts 187 Posters 506.0k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      Intelligent
      last edited by

      sweetheart:
      Only 5 from Nanhua ? So few? My son who is from a vvv Neighbourhood Sch has 6-7 kids who gets selected to GEP ..

      Maybe NHPS students are all rounders, not only gifted in 1 area. Understand NHPS has 1 'TAG' class (Talented and Gifted), the class size will be about same as the GEP class. Only TAG class students get to enjoy some subjects classes with the GEP students. So you see, these students not only Gifted, but Talented. :rotflmao: So you can't just put these TAG students into GEP class.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • O Offline
        OrangeJuice
        last edited by

        LegoMan:
        8228:



        I think 34 is the right number. 2 years ago, there were more than 40. NYPS may take in more than 100. My ds's class has 26 students.

        I am quite puzzled that many GEP students have to stay back many days in the school as my ds never stayed back for any GEP curriculum or projects for the past two years. :?

        Hi 8228, how is your DS coping ?
        is there a lot of competition ?
        Is it hard to be picked as one of those involved in the CCAs and activities like prefects, maths olympaid, etc ?

        Thanks

        Hi 8228, curious, what school is your DS attending ?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • 8 Offline
          8228
          last edited by

          LegoMan:
          8228:



          I think 34 is the right number. 2 years ago, there were more than 40. NYPS may take in more than 100. My ds's class has 26 students.

          I am quite puzzled that many GEP students have to stay back many days in the school as my ds never stayed back for any GEP curriculum or projects for the past two years. :?

          Hi 8228, how is your DS coping ?
          is there a lot of competition ?
          Is it hard to be picked as one of those involved in the CCAs and activities like prefects, maths olympaid, etc ?

          Thanks

          My ds (P5 this year) is definitely not one of the shiniest but he has been coping quite well so far, a bit of struggling for project deadline in P4 though. He is not strong in EL too.

          He took part in AMC, NMOS, UNSW but he did not really spend too much time for preparation except doing some past year papers before the competitions. I plan to let him practise during the coming holiday to prepare for RIPMWC and SMOPS next year to increase his chance for DSA.

          For maths olympiad like NMOS, RIPMWC and SMPOS, I think every student is free to take part but I am not sure what the crtiteria are for joining Advanced Maths CCA. Sorry, I had no idea about the selection of prefects but I heard P4 GEP students transferred from other schools are not encouraged to be one as they are new to the school environment.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • 8 Offline
            8228
            last edited by

            OrangeJuice:
            LegoMan:

            [quote=\"8228\"]

            I think 34 is the right number. 2 years ago, there were more than 40. NYPS may take in more than 100. My ds's class has 26 students.

            I am quite puzzled that many GEP students have to stay back many days in the school as my ds never stayed back for any GEP curriculum or projects for the past two years. :?

            Hi 8228, how is your DS coping ?
            is there a lot of competition ?
            Is it hard to be picked as one of those involved in the CCAs and activities like prefects, maths olympaid, etc ?

            Thanks

            Hi 8228, curious, what school is your DS attending ?[/quote]NYPS.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • L Offline
              LegoMan
              last edited by

              8228:
              LegoMan:

              [quote=\"8228\"]

              I think 34 is the right number. 2 years ago, there were more than 40. NYPS may take in more than 100. My ds's class has 26 students.

              I am quite puzzled that many GEP students have to stay back many days in the school as my ds never stayed back for any GEP curriculum or projects for the past two years. :?

              Hi 8228, how is your DS coping ?
              is there a lot of competition ?
              Is it hard to be picked as one of those involved in the CCAs and activities like prefects, maths olympaid, etc ?

              Thanks

              My ds (P5 this year) is definitely not one of the shiniest but he has been coping quite well so far, a bit of struggling for project deadline in P4 though. He is not strong in EL too.

              He took part in AMC, NMOS, UNSW but he did not really spend too much time for preparation except doing some past year papers before the competitions. I plan to let him practise during the coming holiday to prepare for RIPMWC and SMOPS next year to increase his chance for DSA.

              For maths olympiad like NMOS, RIPMWC and SMPOS, I think every student is free to take part but I am not sure what the crtiteria are for joining Advanced Maths CCA. Sorry, I had no idea about the selection of prefects but I heard P4 GEP students transferred from other schools are not encouraged to be one as they are new to the school environment.[/quote]
              Thanks for yr reply.

              Good luck to your son. 🙂

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • O Offline
                OrangeJuice
                last edited by

                I have decided to put CHS as 1st choice, anyone knows if the GEP kids at CHS stay back often ? So far I am told by CHS teacher P4 GEP kids have to stay back on Thu for computer enrichment class and another day for CCA.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • Y Offline
                  YY1205
                  last edited by

                  Anyone knows that if I put NY as 1st choice, NH as 2nd as 2nd choice, will it end up that my ds been put into other school other than NY & NH if no vacancy in both school? Or MOE will consider mainly according to your 1st choice?


                  We don’t want go to other school considering distance. In such case, should I put NH as 1st choice to be safe?

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    jtoh
                    last edited by

                    YY1205:
                    Anyone knows that if I put NY as 1st choice, NH as 2nd as 2nd choice, will it end up that my ds been put into other school other than NY & NH if no vacancy in both school? Or MOE will consider mainly according to your 1st choice?


                    We don't want go to other school considering distance. In such case, should I put NH as 1st choice to be safe?
                    MOE will try to accomodate as far as possible but if both schools are full they will allocate you a school based on distance, ie the GEP school nearest to you.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • Y Offline
                      YY1205
                      last edited by

                      So that means really there is a risk, if can’t get allocation in NY, then if those put NH as 1st choice all been allocated, no more vacancy in NH, we will then be put in other school?

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • I Offline
                        iFirefly
                        last edited by

                        jtoh:
                        Snow Crystal:

                        [quote=\"LegoMan\"]
                        Yes, that's my thoughts exactly. and not just that, all the competitions/CCAs will be taken up by the shiniest students, so those \"average\" GEPers might miss out, which might rob them of valuable experience.
                        There might be \"invisible\" pressure to keep up too, will too many bright kids in the class.

                        I guess if one decides to go to such competitive GE centre, got to be prepared to be mediocre or give up some things. Eg, in his/her original primary school, may be the one marked out to be head prefect. But in the new school, can't even get a normal prefect position. Or, may be receiving prizes for top 3 for p1-3, but in new school for next 3 years, may be average kid on the block or worse, bottom few in GE class. But that's facing reality at a young age - that there's always someone better than you out there 🤷 :nailbite: jiayou to all!

                        I don't think NYPS is a better GE centre than any of the others. What it has is a rich school history and an affiliation to NYGH. If these things don't matter to you, then you might want to consider another GE centre with a cosier environment, where classes aren't filled to the hilt.

                        As for realizing that there are people better than you, I feel it's healthy to do so. In fact, you'll see this happening at all the GE centres. Many of the kids were top students in their primary schools and obviously not everyone GEP kid can be top in the new school. But in a protected environment, the kids bounce back quickly with the support of their parents.

                        But more importantly, these kids will face even higher mountains when they get to the top secondary schools. I've seen mainstream kids go into the top secondary schools with T-scores of 270+ flounder in secondary school bec
                        they can't cope with the syllabus and with not being the top student anymore. So they let their grades slide. Very sad.[/quote]
                        :goodpost: jtoh !!! :lovesite:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 138
                        • 139
                        • 140
                        • 141
                        • 142
                        • 195
                        • 196
                        • 140 / 196
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        8

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy