Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    GEP 2011 - Screening & Selection

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved GEP
    2.0k Posts 187 Posters 506.1k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      david59
      last edited by

      My ex- student was in GEP at Rosyth. Did not hear him say anything negative about the school. On the other hand he is one super positive guy I have come to know. Hmmm… I think Rosyth must have a good influence in him.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        iFirefly
        last edited by

        dad peg:
        Hi, I'm a daddy new to kiasuparents.


        My girl just rec'd the offer letter. Would like to find out about Tao Nan.

        Are the teachers good & responsive? I read that students need to stay back in school. Why is that so? For remedial? How often does your child stay back in school?

        Sorry for asking so many questions. Am new to this. Really appreciate your advice. TIA
        You can post your concerns at 'All About DSA' thread (P6 GEP parents gather there to 'chit-chat' everyday, including myself), or 'All About GEP' thread (for GEP parents of all levels). You can attention your post to 'ngbrdad', whose son is in Tao Nan P6 GEP this year.

        Sorry, I can't help you as my DS is not from Tao Nan..

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • T Offline
          thmejlfm
          last edited by

          The school wanted them to stay for art/computer, ellap & research project skill. My dd took the netball as cca, so she can do some execise.


          Why you said Tao Nan School?

          Well, for my case, I felt very sad for my dd. She was very happy in the previous school, so many friends and they played games during recess time, went to library.

          But, not this year. Few months ago, I drove passed her previous school, she cried in the car. I asked her why? Not happy in the new school? She said no, just that the new school not so many friends. Most of her classmates don't play games. She considered once of the most sporty girl in her class. And thE library staff n dentist not friendly, not like the previous school..very sad to hear that.

          So, I have to try to keep on telling her, try her best to do her work and adapt to new environment.

          By the way, after yesterday the presentation, my dd told me she would like to take the IVP, not the IRS . What is IVP?

          Thanks

          gleemom:
          thmejlfm:

          Congrats to all Pr 3 parents & kids who made it into GEP round 2. Yes, time really flies. Last year, i was also in this situation cannot decide whether to take the GEP or not and my dd cried & cried, refused to leave the school and friends.

          At the end, after the orientation, I let her decide. She chose to go.

          After this year, I regretted, not my dd. Beginning of the year, she struggled. A lot of things she was not sure. But, a lot of her classmates knew. And shedon'tt dare to ask the teachers because non of her friends asked. After the SA1 and parent meeting, then, I knew she didn't check with the teacher when she was not sure. (later part, I noticed that a lot of her classmates have various tuition for every subjects.) :scared:

          Before this, she didn't have any tuition. She only has Kumon, piano and
          ballet. After the SA1, she has asked for Maths, Chinese and Science tuition.

          She don't really have much time to do other activities. Because she had
          to stayed in school every 3 times a week till 3:30pm, 5:30pm & 3pm.

          After the SA2, she still quite weak in her science because for GEP, their
          mark baseline is 70. Although, my dd is gifted, I think her talent is only at
          the base, not really that gifted. That's why had to struggle so much.

          I asked my dd few days ago whether she has regretted to go to GEP . She
          said 'no'. Hope she can stay on all the way to PSLE.

          This was my experience of GEP. :thankyou: Btw, my dd's school is at the
          east side. Don't really like the school. 😂 not kid friendly at all.

          quote=\"25hr mama\"]Congrats to all parents & kids who made it into GEP. Time really flies....
          Last year... this time.... we too experienced the same thing. Hence, I cud really feel ur joy, ur excitement, ur pride & of course also a little uncertainty & many \"?????\" 🙂
          Nevertheless, it is no doubt an important decision that both parents & kids got to make. To go or not to go? Which school to choose? etc, etc.....
          In this decision making process, itz good to allow thie kids to make the final decision, since they r the ones who will be attending the program. As parents, we want the best for our kids, & most importantly, when they r happy, we r happy too.
          All the best parents & kids, enjoy ur journey ahead, whether GEP or not, choose what u think is best for u! 🙂

          Is the school taonan? Why must your dd stay back so often? I thought at most once a week? Are the other 2 times for CCA?[/quote]

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • V Offline
            vlim
            last edited by

            PiggyLalala:
            HHB:

            [quote=\"PiggyLalala\"]

            Yes, I am curious to know which is a 'friendly' GEP centre.

            Any parents who strongly would recommend the GEP centre that their ds/dd is in now to the newly recruited Geppers? 😄

            Rosyth.... The P and teachers are very friendly and approachable.

            Are all the GEP teachers in Rosyth equally good? Do they all teach in class? If the teacher does not teach and expect the kids to know their work, then it would be very tough for the kids especially when the content is already difficult.[/quote]So far the teachers who teach my Ds are pretty good and experienced gep teachers. He especially like his English teachers through out these 3 yrs and they happen to be his form teachers too ..... I think is Becos other then they are very Gd in their teaching, they are very caring form teachers too ..
            😄 ... Generally rosyth gep teAchers are good! :love: :salute:

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • J Offline
              jtoh
              last edited by

              Hi thmejlfm,


              Sorry to hear that your dd isn't having the best of time in GEP. Take heart. P4 can be tough because there are so many adjustments to make - new school, new friends, new environment, harder academic work. Sometimes the social and emotional adjustments are tougher than the academic demands in P4. I'm sure she'll be better adjusted by P5.

              Info on IVP here: http://www.gebsp.moe.gov.sg/IvP/index.htm

              I find IVP more interesting than IRS. You get to work in a team to design and build an innovative product.

              thmejlfm:
              The school wanted them to stay for art/computer, ellap & research project skill. My dd took the netball as cca, so she can do some execise.

              Why you said Tao Nan School?

              Well, for my case, I felt very sad for my dd. She was very happy in the previous school, so many friends and they played games during recess time, went to library.

              But, not this year. Few months ago, I drove passed her previous school, she cried in the car. I asked her why? Not happy in the new school? She said no, just that the new school not so many friends. Most of her classmates don't play games. She considered once of the most sporty girl in her class. And thE library staff n dentist not friendly, not like the previous school..very sad to hear that.

              So, I have to try to keep on telling her, try her best to do her work and adapt to new environment.

              By the way, after yesterday the presentation, my dd told me she would like to take the IVP, not the IRS . What is IVP?

              Thanks
              gleemom:

              [quote=\"thmejlfm\"]Congrats to all Pr 3 parents & kids who made it into GEP round 2. Yes, time really flies. Last year, i was also in this situation cannot decide whether to take the GEP or not and my dd cried & cried, refused to leave the school and friends.

              At the end, after the orientation, I let her decide. She chose to go.

              After this year, I regretted, not my dd. Beginning of the year, she struggled. A lot of things she was not sure. But, a lot of her classmates knew. And shedon'tt dare to ask the teachers because non of her friends asked. After the SA1 and parent meeting, then, I knew she didn't check with the teacher when she was not sure. (later part, I noticed that a lot of her classmates have various tuition for every subjects.) :scared:

              Before this, she didn't have any tuition. She only has Kumon, piano and
              ballet. After the SA1, she has asked for Maths, Chinese and Science tuition.

              She don't really have much time to do other activities. Because she had
              to stayed in school every 3 times a week till 3:30pm, 5:30pm & 3pm.

              After the SA2, she still quite weak in her science because for GEP, their
              mark baseline is 70. Although, my dd is gifted, I think her talent is only at
              the base, not really that gifted. That's why had to struggle so much.

              I asked my dd few days ago whether she has regretted to go to GEP . She
              said 'no'. Hope she can stay on all the way to PSLE.

              This was my experience of GEP. :thankyou: Btw, my dd's school is at the
              east side. Don't really like the school. 😂 not kid friendly at all.

              quote=\"25hr mama\"]Congrats to all parents & kids who made it into GEP. Time really flies....
              Last year... this time.... we too experienced the same thing. Hence, I cud really feel ur joy, ur excitement, ur pride & of course also a little uncertainty & many \"?????\" 🙂
              Nevertheless, it is no doubt an important decision that both parents & kids got to make. To go or not to go? Which school to choose? etc, etc.....
              In this decision making process, itz good to allow thie kids to make the final decision, since they r the ones who will be attending the program. As parents, we want the best for our kids, & most importantly, when they r happy, we r happy too.
              All the best parents & kids, enjoy ur journey ahead, whether GEP or not, choose what u think is best for u! 🙂

              Is the school taonan? Why must your dd stay back so often? I thought at most once a week? Are the other 2 times for CCA?[/quote][/quote]

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • T Offline
                thmejlfm
                last edited by

                Your son were very lucky to have all these teachers.











                Rosyth.... The P and teachers are very friendly and approachable.[/quote]

                Are all the GEP teachers in Rosyth equally good? Do they all teach in class? If the teacher does not teach and expect the kids to know their work, then it would be very tough for the kids especially when the content is already difficult.[/quote]
                So far the teachers who teach my Ds are pretty good and experienced gep teachers. He especially like his English teachers through out these 3 yrs and they happen to be his form teachers too ..... I think is Becos other then they are very Gd in their teaching, they are very caring form teachers too ..
                😄 ... Generally rosyth gep teAchers are good! :love: :salute:[/quote]

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  MandyMummy
                  last edited by

                  For some GEP schools, IvP is individual work, not group work. 😄

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    jtoh
                    last edited by

                    MandyMummy:
                    For some GEP schools, IvP is individual work, not group work. 😄

                    Oh yes. That's correct. Forgot. So good lor. Can work in team or individual, depending on what you prefer. 😄

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • T Offline
                      thmejlfm
                      last edited by

                      Thanks, jtoh.


                      I hope so. Yes, it is very tough.

                      My dd has became very mutual,and she kept things to herself sometime. I am quite worried about this. Have tried to talk her. But, always show her frustration.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • T Offline
                        thmejlfm
                        last edited by

                        MandyMummy:
                        For some GEP schools, IvP is individual work, not group work. 😄


                        Sometime, I found that individual is better because gifted kids sometime were so difficult to work as a group, too many opinion. All of them are so smart, had their own ideal, don't want to accept others. :slapshead:

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 88
                        • 89
                        • 90
                        • 91
                        • 92
                        • 195
                        • 196
                        • 90 / 196
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        789winanett7
                        789winanett

                        Statistics

                        5

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy