Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    P2 Math - General Discussion

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary 2
    1.1k Posts 177 Posters 567.2k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D Offline
      david59
      last edited by

      acforfamily:
      The school should make it less ambiguous - this is Maths paper, not English. Don't let your child fret over this. It is more important to get the concept right

      Unfortunately, problem sums these days require the students not only to be good in Mathematics but also to comprehend exactly what the question is asking. When you come to Pr 5 and 6 problem sums, sometimes you need to read a few times before you finally understand the qn. Rather than criticising the need to make things less ambigious, it is better to improve our understanding of the qns. As it is, 30 more cookies simply means another 30 cookies. There is no ambiguity in the statement.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • J Offline
        Just4Fun
        last edited by

        I agree those examples illustsrated by David59 do sound logically.


        But, pls allow me to quote these scenarios :-

        (A)
        For Paper 1 , I have scored 30 marks.
        For Paper 2, I have scored 10 more marks .
        So what is the actual score for Paper 2 ? 10 or 40 marks ?

        (B),
        Last year, I had scored 30 marks for Maths Paper
        This year, I have scored 10 more marks.
        So, what is the exact score that I hv scored for this year ?

        Ā©
        For English , I have scored 30 marks .
        For Maths, I have scored 10 more marks
        So, what is the exact score for Maths ?

        Does the answer to A looks unclear, but answer to B looks more towards 40 marks , while answer to C is quite obvious towards 40 marks ?

        So how to explain to a P1 student, under what situation shd u add to the previous number, and under what situation u shd not do the summation ???

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • G Offline
          GreenQ
          last edited by

          Hi david59,


          I start to confuse as I have read some time back in another thread \"Chit chat - Rant - Mistake\" for similar question :

          tankee:
          Another one. Or is it a trick question?

          3. Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?
          Thought the above answer is 57+28. :?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • A Offline
            acforfamily
            last edited by

            david59:

            Unfortunately, problem sums these days require the students not only to be good in Mathematics but also to comprehend exactly what the question is asking. When you come to Pr 5 and 6 problem sums, sometimes you need to read a few times before you finally understand the qn. Rather than criticising the need to make things less ambigious, it is better to improve our understanding of the qns. As it is, 30 more cookies simply means another 30 cookies. There is no ambiguity in the statement.
            While I agree that the students need to be good in English too, isn't it much clearer if the question had been \"30 more than Monday\" if it was intended to add or \"another 30 cookies\" if it was not intended to add?

            At P1 level, we should focus on whether they get their concepts right first.
            No offence intended but I feel that properly worded questions will help to reinforce the learning of Maths concept better.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • F Offline
              Full.010894Cream
              last edited by

              GreenQ:
              Hi david59,


              I start to confuse as I have read some time back in another thread \"Chit chat - Rant - Mistake\" for similar question :
              tankee:

              Another one. Or is it a trick question?

              3. Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?

              Thought the above answer is 57+28. :?

              perhaps it's the way we normally speak. If we say '28 more in the afternoon', we normally mean that after the 57, we made another 28. Seldom we expect the other person to do some maths, in this case, (57+28 ) in our conversation.
              Just4Fun:
              I agree those examples illustsrated by David59 do sound logically.

              But, pls allow me to quote these scenarios :-

              (A)
              For Paper 1 , I have scored 30 marks.
              For Paper 2, I have scored 10 more marks .
              So what is the actual score for Paper 2 ? 10 or 40 marks ?

              (B),
              Last year, I had scored 30 marks for Maths Paper
              This year, I have scored 10 more marks.
              So, what is the exact score that I hv scored for this year ?

              (C)
              For English , I have scored 30 marks .
              For Maths, I have scored 10 more marks
              So, what is the exact score for Maths ?

              Does the answer to A looks unclear, but answer to B looks more towards 40 marks , while answer to C is quite obvious towards 40 marks ?

              So how to explain to a P1 student, under what situation shd u add to the previous number, and under what situation u shd not do the summation ????
              For the above 3 examples, I strongly believe we should include 'than' if we intend to make a comparison. Too often, we skip 'than' in our daily conversation that we become too comfy without it.

              BTW, should it be 'lesser than' or 'less than' ?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • J Offline
                Just4Fun
                last edited by

                Shd be "lesser than".


                We usually say " fewer than ", "smaller than ", " smarter than "…
                But somehow when we come to "less" , we usually mix up these .

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • M Offline
                  Muffins
                  last edited by

                  Just4Fun:
                  //Moderator's note: Topics merged.


                  This is what my DS got for his Maths paper :
                  There were 6 cookies in each packet.
                  I bought 3 packets of cookies on Monday.
                  a, How many cookies did I buy on Monday ?
                  b, I bought 30 more cookies on Tuesday.
                  How many cookies did I buy altogether on both days ?

                  Answer to (b) ??? Can some one pls help on this ????
                  48 or 66 cookies shd be the correct answer ???? :?
                  Hi Just4Fun, the answer is 48 because she bought 18 (6X3) cookies on Monday, then she bought 30 more cookies on Tuesday... Just imagine, if your son/daughter came to you and said, \"Hi Ma! I bought 18 cookies today!\", then, on the next day, says, \"Hey Mom! I bought 30 more cookies!\", how many of those cookies would you have, considering that you had none of them to begin with, 48, right? So, that's why I think 48 is the correct answer...

                  Hope I helped! šŸ˜„

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • J Offline
                    Just4Fun
                    last edited by

                    OK, it seems that the answer to this question is certainly not definite, reading fr the various responses.


                    It will be interesting to hear from David59 :
                    To this \"cookie\" question, Tue's purchase is 30.

                    But to the other question
                    Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?

                    Apple pies in the afternoon is 57+28 = 85.

                    Isn't this contradicting ?
                    David59, hope u can help to enlighten me yr view. Thanks so much !

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • D Offline
                      david59
                      last edited by

                      GreenQ:
                      Hi david59,


                      I start to confuse as I have read some time back in another thread \"Chit chat - Rant - Mistake\" for similar question :
                      tankee:

                      Another one. Or is it a trick question?

                      3. Mrs Quek baked 57 apples pies in the morning. She baked 28 more apple pies in the afternoon. How many apples pies did she bake in the afternoon?

                      Thought the above answer is 57+28. :?

                      I had deliberated on this issue in that thread. My stand is 28 apple pies in the afternoon. As I have shared then, if the answer is to be 57 + 28, then it should be \"she baked 28 more in the afternoon than in the morning\". The question set by the teacher was clearly to mean more than but it was phrased wrongly.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • D Offline
                        david59
                        last edited by

                        Just4Fun:
                        I agree those examples illustsrated by David59 do sound logically.


                        But, pls allow me to quote these scenarios :-

                        (A)
                        For Paper 1 , I have scored 30 marks.
                        For Paper 2, I have scored 10 more marks .
                        So what is the actual score for Paper 2 ? 10 or 40 marks ?

                        (B),
                        Last year, I had scored 30 marks for Maths Paper
                        This year, I have scored 10 more marks.
                        So, what is the exact score that I hv scored for this year ?

                        (C)
                        For English , I have scored 30 marks .
                        For Maths, I have scored 10 more marks
                        So, what is the exact score for Maths ?

                        Does the answer to A looks unclear, but answer to B looks more towards 40 marks , while answer to C is quite obvious towards 40 marks ?

                        So how to explain to a P1 student, under what situation shd u add to the previous number, and under what situation u shd not do the summation ????
                        First of all, I have to say that I am no English expert.
                        Ok, for (A) I would say that - I find it rather odd to say \" I have scored 10 more marks\". I would just simply say \" For paper 2, I have scored 40 mark\" or \" had scored 10 more marks than paper 1\".

                        For (B), again it is rather odd to phrase the way you wrote. One would simply say that this year he has improved by 10 marks over last year.

                        For (C), again your phrasing is incomplete and causes ambiguity. I would say \" For Maths, I have scored 10 more marks than for English\".

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better šŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 17
                        • 18
                        • 19
                        • 20
                        • 21
                        • 107
                        • 108
                        • 19 / 108
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy