[Bukit Timah] Primary Schools
-
keroppi:
Thanks to Luanee & Keroppi for above explanation on differences of MGS over RGPS.Correct & it's on dual track (IP & Os). Once you gained entry, it's almost guaranteed 10-12 years of no-worry. Can relax a little for PSLE.
Some more it's a full school so you get a longer Nov/Dec holiday than everyone else
Actually, I was referring to the post on various academic % quality score comparison made by phtthp (In Novena thread on comparing SCGS against various GEP schools) but do not see MGS pit against RGPS.
Appreciate to know if there are comparison made.
TIA -
tintedsky:
Is this a prelude to children education in Singapore? If it is, I am feeling very sorry for my child who is about to enter her 'rat race' education environment.
Having affiliation does help to cut down some stress at P6...my son has to work very hard to get into an all boys' sec school down the road as compared to those who are in the affiliated primary.
The rat race begins at primary school and gets more cut throat along the way. -
keroppi:
I was in a dilemma thinking that getting into MGS guaranteed a 12 yrs of no worry but I saw incidents that pupils from the primary sch got into the affiliated sec sch with a lower COP however competing with other pupils that come from other sch with a higher score, the students from the affiliated pri sch have difficulties to cope with the class cos their standards are not as good as those from other sch.Luanee:
MGS definitely more popular than RGPS coz it is a full school, afflilated to the secondary school. Whereas for RGPS there is no afflilation to the secondary school. Ur girl need to excel in PSLE to gain into RGS, no advantage over students from other schools.
Correct & it's on dual track (IP & Os). Once you gained entry, it's almost guaranteed 10-12 years of no-worry. Can relax a little for PSLE.
Some more it's a full school so you get a longer Nov/Dec holiday than everyone else
I sometimes wonder is it good or bad?? -
pchong:
That is a very valid thought. There are always 2 sides to a coin.I was in a dilemma thinking that getting into MGS guaranteed a 12 yrs of no worry but I saw incidents that pupils from the primary sch got into the affiliated sec sch with a lower COP however competing with other pupils that come from other sch with a higher score, the students from the affiliated pri sch have difficulties to cope with the class cos their standards are not as good as those from other sch.
I sometimes wonder is it good or bad??
I cant help thinking, at what price will I, as a Singaporean parent be paying to cajole my children to keep up to this 'rat race' and to excel. Will the moral values be compromised? Will the simple fun of being a kid be curtailed? Will the esteem of the kid be affected should they not do so well? Please God, don’t let me compromise on all these...! -
Very well said tintedsky. :goodpost: This is my daily prayers to remind myself.
-
tintedsky:
It heartens me to see this level of awareness on the kiasu parent forums. I was beginning to wonder...
I cant help thinking, at what price will I, as a Singaporean parent be paying to cajole my children to keep up to this 'rat race' and to excel. Will the moral values be compromised? Will the simple fun of being a kid be curtailed? Will the esteem of the kid be affected should they not do so well? Please God, don’t let me compromise on all these...! -
Phase 2C vacancies out
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/primary-one-registration/vacancies/#bukit-timah
Bukit Timah primary school - many vacancies. -
pchong:
I was from a sec school with affiliated prim sch. In my sec school, we were grouped into the Sec 1/2 classes based on our PSLE T-score. Thus, naturally, those in the last 2 classes were from the affiliated prim school. The better teachers were assigned to teach the top classes while the average teachers were tasked to teach the last few classes in Sec 1/2. Most of the students in these last few classes ended up in the Arts stream in Sec 3/4. This was my personal experience last time. Unsure about now.I was in a dilemma thinking that getting into MGS guaranteed a 12 yrs of no worry but I saw incidents that pupils from the primary sch got into the affiliated sec sch with a lower COP however competing with other pupils that come from other sch with a higher score, the students from the affiliated pri sch have difficulties to cope with the class cos their standards are not as good as those from other sch.
I sometimes wonder is it good or bad?? -
So to say affliation might not be a good thing after all isn’t an over statement.
Anyone else have different views about this? -
forevernikon:
May be good for late boomers?So to say affliation might not be a good thing after all isn't an over statement.
Anyone else have different views about this?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login