Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Opera Estate Primary

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
    158 Posts 27 Posters 97.5k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • H Offline
      Happyvon
      last edited by

      Hi leine,


      I can fully understand how u feel. I cried the whole of yesterday too. I just couldn’t help it but feel guilty for not being able to register my boy in phase 2C.

      Why didn’t u hv good opinion of OEPS? I didn’t consider this sch. I am worried that I need to ballot for Bedok Green. I don’t want to end up in that situation again.

      I am also concern abt the quality of teachers and the curriculum. But I reckon it should be of acceptable standard. Now beggars can’t be choosers. Just hv to make sure that it’s the best option that is left for us to make.

      This is why I am hoping that someone whose child is already in OEPS to advise me.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • H Offline
        Happyvon
        last edited by

        I am concern with the many international students in OEPS. Unsure the impact on academic progress of the cohort. Anyone has any comments?

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • L Offline
          leine_ng
          last edited by

          Whatever that you are concerned, I am equally concerned. I am really wondering the low takeup rate. Is it because there is no mass due to the fact that the people staying in the community lived there a long time and not so many kids? Also, I am concerned with the quality and commitment of the teachers there. Will my son be in good hands? I am also looking out for reviews from people around. I have in fact gone round to the estate to ask passer bys and people staying there asking them about the school. General feedback is that the school is good. Teachers from the school are vibrant and innovative. But again, I am still not convinced because I believe in results. So I think I will just register my son inside the school first and then ask for transfer whenever possible. I can’t think of anything else for now except this route. Sigh and stress…

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • P Offline
            PhoBIA
            last edited by

            Could the low take up rate be due to location?

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • H Offline
              Happyvon
              last edited by

              Hi leine,


              I called the sch yesterday and made arrangement for a Sch tour. So happen that there was already a pre-arranged tour so I tagged along. The staff were friendly and took almost 2 hrs bringing us around & telling us about their curriculum, enrichment program, CCA, PSLE results. I would say that this sch focuses on wholistic learning environment. It should be a good exposure to our children as the Sch is very popular with the expatriates staying around there. As I went there after students have left, can’t tell the demographics of the student and it wasn’t too convenient for me to ask during the tour as there were many foreigners (Japanese, Americans, Swedish). It will feel like an international Sch. My hb went to check it out at 7am look at the behaviour of students. He said the environment in the morning is fabulous, very quiet & conducive for studying. Children were very orderly and well behaved. And he saw a quite a number of Caucasians.

              I do have my reservations. Though a good mix of ppl of different nationality which will give the child gd exposure, I am concern with the overall quality in terms of academic. Questions like how’s the standard of language with so many children of diff nationality? Does it mean more effort to bring them to the same level? I am still in a dilemma.

              Are there other options for you? So you are firmed with your decision to register your boy to OEPS then scout for chance to transfer? Have you put him on any wait list? Are we only able to put on wait list for the Sch that we attempted but failed to register into?

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                bakebean
                last edited by

                dear parents who may have not get over the \"sadness\" of being ballot out from your (not your son/daughter) preferred school. I went through the process last year, equally disheartened but I got over quite fast. Hence I hope you guys get over it fast too.


                My boy is enjoying his term 3 in OEPS ... I just celebrated his birthday with his classmates in school 2 weeks back. These kids are cool!

                http://i49.tinypic.com/2w3ork5.jpg\">

                Again, no single single system fit all kids. It is not only school effort but both parents' and teachers' effort to give our kids a happy education.

                Hope my little sharing helps 🙂 Happy National Day.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • P Offline
                  PhoBIA
                  last edited by

                  bakebean:


                  My boy is enjoying his term 3 in OEPS ... I just celebrated his birthday with his classmates in school 2 weeks back. These kids are cool!
                  I thought the celebration of birthdays is only for preschools....

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • B Offline
                    bakebean
                    last edited by

                    PhoBIA:
                    bakebean:



                    My boy is enjoying his term 3 in OEPS ... I just celebrated his birthday with his classmates in school 2 weeks back. These kids are cool!

                    I thought the celebration of birthdays is only for preschools....

                    Initial I thought so but later realized the school does allow short (15-30min) celebration (cake cutting and giving out of goodies bag) if parents wish to 😄

                    I m not sure if it only applies to P1 but so far the school is quite supportive in such \"mini bonding exercise\". Actually not many parents keen to go through such hassles, hence when I check with my boy's form teacher, she is happy to arrange a short session for me as she see this as a good sharing moment. In fact, from what I understand from my friends and sister, many teachers not in favor of having parents in school. My nephews' school don't encourage issuing of goodies bags. So is up to individual school.This mini celebration also allowed me to know my boy classmate better. Jointly, teacher and myself feel that children should not feel embarrass to have parents in school.

                    Many times when I am waiting for my boy's CCA to end, his classmates who released earlier from different CCA group will greet me or inform me that my boy still in the hall/field. I like such connection (^.^)

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • H Offline
                      Happyvon
                      last edited by

                      Hi bakebean,


                      Your boy looked very happy. Frankly speaking, it is taking me longer than I’d expected to get over this. I just feel sore that I can’t get my boy into the school that is just downstairs, across the carpark, and had to subject him to taking school bus & waking up much earlier, making him tired.

                      It is nice of the school to be able to allocate time for parents to go to the school and celebrate the kid’s birthday with his classmates. This is awesome.

                      So, bakebean, you have no concerns whatsoever on OEPS at all? I think most importantly, the teachers must be passionate and caring towards the students. Only then will the environment be conducive for the child to grow & learn.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • L Offline
                        leine_ng
                        last edited by

                        Hi Happyvon


                        It’s not that I am firmed on trying OEPS, but I just didn’t want to go through the agony and disappointment of balloting again. It’s very tormenting even till now. To date, I am still as teary as I am on the 1st day of balloting out. To me what’s left are schools which I think are not academically popular and driven. They are really not in my list at all. Since they are not even in my list at all, it really doesn’t matter too much whether it’s Bedok Green or OEPS.

                        I will just stick to OEPS and then change school along the way. What I want is a good school preferably SAP school near my mum’s place. Because I have planned enrichment programs for him right after school and my father has been the faithful chauffeur to bring him around. I really want to make it easier for my father and kid.

                        My son goes for enrichment programs since the age of 3. So he shall just continue it the way it has been.

                        I know that there is one school which is considerably not bad among what is left in phase 2c supp is Bukit Timah Primary. This school is usually not the priority until all the rest of the schools in Bukit Timah are snapped out. But if you compare academic results of Bukit Timah and OEPS, Bukit Timah is much better. But are you willing to put your child through the long journey? Initially, I thought of trying Bukit Timah but thinking of my kid going though the hassle, I decide not to.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 6
                        • 7
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 15
                        • 16
                        • 8 / 16
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        3

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy