Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Chongfu Primary

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
    1.9k Posts 288 Posters 757.7k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • Imp75I Offline
      Imp75
      last edited by

      What is ODT? Rae also doesn’t have the thermometer kit.


      As for HYPY, well it certainly trains the pupils’ listening skills and hopefully pronunication skills that are acquired through the attentive listening process. I am not a big fan of HYPY and certainly not dispensing it as well.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • IluvmygalsI Offline
        Iluvmygals
        last edited by

        Learning HYPY first doesn’t mean students will be weaker in their recognition of the chinese words. It fact i believe it is meant to help the students pronounce the words…just like how phonics is meant to help kids pronounce the English words.


        Also times has changed. Computer software is now an integral part of our lifes and it will become more so. What happens when the computer breakdown? We either wait for it to be repaired or get a new one…will we revert back to paper and pen? I doubt so…would you write a snail mail when your Words breakdown? No…you will find another computer and type away…that is life…it has changed. And the education system is meant to evolve together with how times has changed. In fact I am glad that they put some emphasis on HYPY…cause many children now are reading books on their own without much help from parents cause parents are all working…with HYPY, they could at least try to put a sound to the words that they see (provided the book has both HYPY and the chinese words)…

        Are our children guinea pigs of the education system? Yes…we all were…we have gone throught the system ourselves and we were all products of trial and errors of the MOE system…

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • 2 Offline
          2littlemonkeys
          last edited by

          babycutie71:
          2littlemonkeys:

          [quote=\"babycutie71\"]Just to network a bit. Is there homework for 1 inno?


          I have a friend whose kid is in 1 united. The kids r given english hw & spelling for tue.


          Hi is your friend in this forum?
          My son seem like dunno watz going on in the school
          He is in 1united. Tks

          Btw any 1united mummies here?

          I don't think my friend is in this forum. Her boy's name is Kendrick. You can ask you boy whether he know who is Kendrick.[/quote]He said YES then said dun knw....
          :slapshead:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • Imp75I Offline
            Imp75
            last edited by

            I firmly believe in appreciating the strokes behind the chinese character (ie why is a certain character worded a certain way, thats how we remember how or why a character is worded a certain way) before embarking on HYPY. We seemed to have lost that in the new syllabus, notwithstanding the fact that HYPY is pretty important in our everyday lives now when using the computer

            Iluvmygals:
            Learning HYPY first doesn't mean students will be weaker in their recognition of the chinese words. It fact i believe it is meant to help the students pronounce the words...just like how phonics is meant to help kids pronounce the English words.

            Also times has changed. Computer software is now an integral part of our lifes and it will become more so. What happens when the computer breakdown? We either wait for it to be repaired or get a new one...will we revert back to paper and pen? I doubt so...would you write a snail mail when your Words breakdown? No...you will find another computer and type away....that is life...it has changed. And the education system is meant to evolve together with how times has changed. In fact I am glad that they put some emphasis on HYPY...cause many children now are reading books on their own without much help from parents cause parents are all working...with HYPY, they could at least try to put a sound to the words that they see (provided the book has both HYPY and the chinese words)...

            Are our children guinea pigs of the education system? Yes...we all were...we have gone throught the system ourselves and we were all products of trial and errors of the MOE system...

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • IluvmygalsI Offline
              Iluvmygals
              last edited by

              [quote="Imp75"]I firmly believe in appreciating the strokes behind the chinese character (ie why is a certain character worded a certain way, thats how we remember how or why a character is worded a certain way) quote]


              Maybe i have left school too long ago…but i do not remember being taught how or why certain characters are worded a certain way…

              We are talking now as if the children will never be taught the chinese characters…which is definitely not the case. They will be taught the chinese characters, it is just that the system is starting with HYPY first before moving on to the chinese characters.

              Honestly, i believe in HYPY cause everytime i forget how to write my chinese characters, I use HYPY to look it up…

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • B Offline
                babycutie71
                last edited by

                2littlemonkeys:
                babycutie71:

                [quote=\"2littlemonkeys\"]

                Hi is your friend in this forum?
                My son seem like dunno watz going on in the school
                He is in 1united. Tks

                Btw any 1united mummies here?

                I don't think my friend is in this forum. Her boy's name is Kendrick. You can ask you boy whether he know who is Kendrick.

                He said YES then said dun knw....
                :slapshead:[/quote]
                Your boy is cute. What is your boy's name? Maybe I can ask Kendrick if I sees him whether he knows yr boy.

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • 2 Offline
                  2galsmum
                  last edited by

                  Icymummy:
                  Some personal grumbling & feelings....Pls ignore if you feel it's offensive.Sorry Thanks!


                  Saw my son's chinese spelling test. ALL Hanyu Pinyin ! Maybe I'm old school but I'm wondering how kids are gonna learn chinese like that? Yes, we type Hanyu Pinyin into computers now,the chinese words associated with it will appear. but if computer break down how?!!
                  So does that mean we can write to the chinese teacher using hanyu pinyin in email?or ask our kids to hand in hanyu pinyin compositions for exams?
                  I'm actually very disappointed with this. Perhaps next time Chinese wouldn't know how to write/read mandarin at all...I feel that their generation already lose out of not knowing dialects...now mandarin....haizzz.. It feel like my son have been a guinea pig for education system. During PAP Kindergarten, they used \"Phonics\" to teach English. Now they used Hanyu Pinyin to teach Chinese. Then if given a few years, this don't work..MOE just change their system again...Haizz :stupid: 😢 :shock: Let's wait and see....

                  Languages (english,mandarin,spanish,japanese,etc) are all learn the same way. Read, Write, Listen, Speak. Nowadays kids are so smart, they actually pick up fast if we can use creative ways to teach them these 4 things.....It also bores down to how well we know our kids. From there. we can know the way that is most suitable to teach and nurture our kids.

                  My 2 kids are worlds apart, I always say 1 north pole,1 south pole.Y? coz 1 is the logical,hearing type (think of mathematician). one is the visual,creative side (think of artist). 2 different methods of teachings is needed for both!Now I must crack my \"creative juice\" to think of ways to teach this Hanyu Pinyin Mandarin to my son! Haizzz.... :lol:
                  Hi icymummy,

                  I used to be like you, how HYPY is going to help her recognize characters? But her HYPY is better than me now. As for phonics, those with phonics foundation, don't you find that spelling is a bliss for them??

                  They will have less of HYPY in 2nd half of P1 or P2...fyi (that's when u wish they have, to score).

                  She is in P3 now, coping well with the languages, no worries..

                  Cheers

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • B Offline
                    babycutie71
                    last edited by

                    Re: Chinese



                    I can’t recall how I master Chinese during my primary school in my era (in the 70s to be exact).

                    Definitely HYPY was not implemented at that time and I learn to write using strokes. HYPY is only implemented at a later stage of my school years. Maybe when I was in P5?

                    In fact, I prefer my kids to read by recognising the chinese character instead of HYPY. However, kids nowadays are mostly "English Savvy". Without the aid of HYPY, most of them cannot read. My girl is one example. She depends on HYPY to read. But she still can recognise some Chinese characters cos we "force" her to do so.

                    Not many children can read by looking only at chinese characters nowadays. I believe it is the way the child is being nurtured when they learn Chinese. And if you realised, many chinese storybooks for children selling at bookstores comes with HYPY. I wanted to get purely chinese characters storybooks for my kids but I couldn’t find one.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • B Offline
                      babycutie71
                      last edited by

                      Imp75,


                      ODT = Oral Digital Thermometer

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • Imp75I Offline
                        Imp75
                        last edited by

                        HYPY is confusing me and I don’t seem to be able to understand the technicalities behind HYPY to explain them properly to my gal, ie why grandpa ye ye (the second ye does not have the notation) and why b p m f (like why "b" cannot form into "be") there isn’t an explanation in the textbook and I wonder if there are any good self-help HYPY books?

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 38
                        • 39
                        • 40
                        • 41
                        • 42
                        • 192
                        • 193
                        • 40 / 193
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy