Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    DSA 2011

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Secondary Schools - Selection
    9.2k Posts 317 Posters 1.7m Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • I Offline
      iFirefly
      last edited by

      ngbrdad:
      Had a chat with DS.

      His preferred school is one without girls LOL.
      So looks like RI is still his preferred destination. DW's too since she was from RJC.
      Since we only get a WL for RI, must still work very hard for PSLE to make sure.
      DS is still very relax in his preparation. That has been his attitude through out primary school anyway. Never seen him under any stress during the 3 years of GEP. Maybe that explains his results. Sigh.
      So for NJC DSA results it's que sera sera.
      hi ngbrdad, glad to hear that your DS' 1st choice is still RI.. then, to RI he shall go next year (you must have faith in your DS)! my DS also prefers a school without girls (maybe coz his current school is also an all-boys school). actually i also prefer my DS to attend an all-boys school as this mummy here is quite possessive and doesn't want to share her DS with another female so soon leh! :oops:

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • I Offline
        iFirefly
        last edited by

        ngbrdad:
        hipomum:



        That being said, we will have to wait till Monday.... BTW, since MOE guidelines stated that all should be notified by 2 Sep, does that also mean that we have to feedback to NJC and see what the school has to say about not adhering to rules?

        They can easily shift the blame to the postal service.

        ya lor, so typical of our 'garment'... 🦆 :siam:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • F Offline
          Funx3
          last edited by

          firefly38:

          hi ngbrdad, glad to hear that your DS' 1st choice is still RI.. then, to RI he shall go next year (you must have faith in your DS)! my DS also prefers a school without girls (maybe coz his current school is also an all-boys school). actually i also prefer my DS to attend an all-boys school as this mummy here is quite possessive and doesn't want to share her DS with another female so soon leh! :oops:
          Ha Ha ....
          But My Gal is OK be it Mixed or ALL Gal's Sch.
          In Fact I Think She learn how to handle being Around Mischievious Boys by being in a Mixed Pri Sch.
          Coz the Form T always placed the Most Mischievious / Talkative Boy to Seat Beside her Many a Times ....
          Guess She Got a Way to Freeze them up Quite Effectively :roll: :roll:

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • I Offline
            iFirefly
            last edited by

            Funx3:
            firefly38:


            hi ngbrdad, glad to hear that your DS' 1st choice is still RI.. then, to RI he shall go next year (you must have faith in your DS)! my DS also prefers a school without girls (maybe coz his current school is also an all-boys school). actually i also prefer my DS to attend an all-boys school as this mummy here is quite possessive and doesn't want to share her DS with another female so soon leh! :oops:

            Ha Ha ....
            But My Gal is OK be it Mixed or ALL Gal's Sch.
            In Fact I Think She learn how to handle being Around Mischievious Boys by being in a Mixed Pri Sch.
            Coz the Form T always placed the Most Mischievious / Talkative Boy to Seat Beside her Many a Times ....
            Guess She Got a Way to Freeze them up Quite Effectively :roll: :roll:

            my DS was from a mixed school near my neighbourhood from p1-p3 but he was transferred to his current all-boys school from p4 onwards due to GEP. he used to be rather popular amongst the girls in his previous school, as he is considered quite smart and cute-looking (in their eyes), so-called like a korean actor but till now i still dono who :scratchhead:

            but after he joins his current all-boys school, somehow he becomes quite shy with girls and even specifies that he will only attend all-boys sec school. that's why he only applied DSA for RI & HCI.

            maybe your gal can help \"unfreeze\" my DS1, who is rather shy.. and \"freeze\" my DS2, who just cant stop talking for one second! 😂

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • I Offline
              iFirefly
              last edited by

              vlim:
              phankao:

              [quote=\"vlim\"]
              phankao..did you find the stones flying towards you.. 🦆 ... 😉 😉 😉

              Big deal. My kids all \"common mainstreamers\". Want to throw stone then throw loh. Less \"commoners\" left then.

              Hi phankao ... It is meant to a joke I hope u don't take it seriously... And by the way my p3 dd is also common mainstreamer who need to take up tuitions for more then 2 subjects ... While happy for my ds able to secure CO, on the other hand also worry for my dd who did quite badly for this ca maths and science exams .....
              Oki ... Last but not least wish all p6 children good luck for the coming psle and able to get to their dream school .[/quote]hi vlim, no worries.. we all know you were just joking.. or perhaps MOST of us know.. 😄

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • I Offline
                iFirefly
                last edited by

                DaddyDaddy:
                Hi Blur Dad


                I can really emphatise with you
                Being a father of 2 GEP kids who had gone thru the GEP Programmes and DSA in the past couple of years, I feel that there's a lack of understanding of GEP programme and why DSA is a necessary & important path for GEP kids.

                Let me put it this way.
                I do not think my 2 kids who went through GEP programme necessarily any more intelligent nor any more deserving to go to the TOP IP schools than the kids from mainstream. The only difference is that for some reason ( which till today I also do not fully understand ) they were somehow selected for the GEP programme…
                DSA to GEP kids is not and should never be an entitlement, but I would dare say that DSA to GEP kids is a very very important lifeline.
                Why?

                The GEP programme is like a Decathlon Training & Exposure Programme ( 10 events - long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m, 110m, discus, pole vault, javelin, 1500m )
                Whilst the PSLE is a Nationwide 400m race ...
                So whilst the mainstream kids are prepared in a very focused manner for the 400m race ( PSLE ) from as early as P4 all the way to P6. The GEP kids are instead being focused on being ‘exposed’ to all the different Decathlon events.
                I know my kids’ GEP teachers even constantly remind parents not to prepare their kids for PSLE but to support them and focus on allowing the kids to be exposed to as many things as possible, they assure us that they will start to seriously prepare our kids for PSLE from May/June of the PSLE year onwards... )

                Imagine .. A GEP kid not getting a DSA to any of the IP schools that offer School Based Gifted Programme & knowing that only in August/September of PSLE year... they wld then hv to intensively prepare for the Nationwide 400m race ( PSLE ) in a short few months in P6 against a whole cohort of excellent athletes ( equally if not more intelligent & academically inclined students in mainstream )

                There are many GEP kids ( I would venture, say 10%? of 500 = abt 50? ) without any CO/WL from any of the TOP IP schools after the DSA exercise.
                It's also really not easy for them to really focus on preparing intensively for the PSLE ( when 90% of the classmates hv already gotten a DSA CO ). Put yrself in their shoes…. If I were them, I know I wld be really demoralised and find it difficult to ‘chiong’ when the other kids with DSA are not chionging to the same level. I know if I am a PSLE kid and I have a DSA CO, I wld not be chionging at the same level as I wld if I do not have a DSA CO, I am only human…. And I am an adult, what more a 12 yr old kid ??….

                It's also not easy for them to compete against the mainstreamers in the PSLE ( A kid trained for decathlon having to compete in a nationwide 400m race with less than half a year of focused intensive training in the event against a whole bunch of just as able/more able kids who have been trained for the 400m race over 2-3 years )

                Many of the GEP kids who find themselves in such a situation wld 'survive' at the end of the day ( get to a desired IP school via PSLE )
                But there are also those who do not manage to do so... ( but whom I believe they wld be able to do so if only they had been as prepared and focused on the PSLE over P4-P6 like kids in the mainstream .. )
                My heart really goes out to them ...
                So that is why I personally feel that DSA is really an important lifeline for GEP kids…. It is not their entitlement… but a real important lifeline…

                My own personal 2cts worth ...
                :goodpost: :udaman: :thankyou:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • C Offline
                  cindylauper
                  last edited by

                  CSN:
                  Dear Parents who are still waiting for NJC's letters

                  It means bad news if u have not received any letter by now. DH called NJC on Thursday and was told letters posted to successful ones on Wed and they will post unsuccessful ones only next week. It's bad news for DS as NJC is only remaining hope. So got to really \"chiong\" for PSLE. Given his very weak Chinese, slim chance to get to his dream school. Will try our best and commit the rest to God. God bless. A very worried mum.
                  Dear CSN
                  Thank you so much for your post. I have prepared my DD on the possible rejection already.

                  But it is of course no longer important now, as I have to get her ready for PSLE, everything depends on PSLE results now. I understand your worries about Chinese, my eldest daughter also has a problem with Chinese and her overall score for PSLE was pulled down by this subject although she got 3Astars for the other 3 subjects and could not go her dream school too. Best wishes for your DS in PSLE.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • C Offline
                    cindylauper
                    last edited by

                    firefly38:
                    DaddyDaddy:

                    Hi Blur Dad


                    I can really emphatise with you
                    Being a father of 2 GEP kids who had gone thru the GEP Programmes and DSA in the past couple of years, I feel that there's a lack of understanding of GEP programme and why DSA is a necessary & important path for GEP kids.

                    Let me put it this way.
                    I do not think my 2 kids who went through GEP programme necessarily any more intelligent nor any more deserving to go to the TOP IP schools than the kids from mainstream. The only difference is that for some reason ( which till today I also do not fully understand ) they were somehow selected for the GEP programme…
                    DSA to GEP kids is not and should never be an entitlement, but I would dare say that DSA to GEP kids is a very very important lifeline.
                    Why?

                    The GEP programme is like a Decathlon Training & Exposure Programme ( 10 events - long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m, 110m, discus, pole vault, javelin, 1500m )
                    Whilst the PSLE is a Nationwide 400m race ...
                    So whilst the mainstream kids are prepared in a very focused manner for the 400m race ( PSLE ) from as early as P4 all the way to P6. The GEP kids are instead being focused on being ‘exposed’ to all the different Decathlon events.
                    I know my kids’ GEP teachers even constantly remind parents not to prepare their kids for PSLE but to support them and focus on allowing the kids to be exposed to as many things as possible, they assure us that they will start to seriously prepare our kids for PSLE from May/June of the PSLE year onwards... )

                    Imagine .. A GEP kid not getting a DSA to any of the IP schools that offer School Based Gifted Programme & knowing that only in August/September of PSLE year... they wld then hv to intensively prepare for the Nationwide 400m race ( PSLE ) in a short few months in P6 against a whole cohort of excellent athletes ( equally if not more intelligent & academically inclined students in mainstream )

                    There are many GEP kids ( I would venture, say 10%? of 500 = abt 50? ) without any CO/WL from any of the TOP IP schools after the DSA exercise.
                    It's also really not easy for them to really focus on preparing intensively for the PSLE ( when 90% of the classmates hv already gotten a DSA CO ). Put yrself in their shoes…. If I were them, I know I wld be really demoralised and find it difficult to ‘chiong’ when the other kids with DSA are not chionging to the same level. I know if I am a PSLE kid and I have a DSA CO, I wld not be chionging at the same level as I wld if I do not have a DSA CO, I am only human…. And I am an adult, what more a 12 yr old kid ??….

                    It's also not easy for them to compete against the mainstreamers in the PSLE ( A kid trained for decathlon having to compete in a nationwide 400m race with less than half a year of focused intensive training in the event against a whole bunch of just as able/more able kids who have been trained for the 400m race over 2-3 years )

                    Many of the GEP kids who find themselves in such a situation wld 'survive' at the end of the day ( get to a desired IP school via PSLE )
                    But there are also those who do not manage to do so... ( but whom I believe they wld be able to do so if only they had been as prepared and focused on the PSLE over P4-P6 like kids in the mainstream .. )
                    My heart really goes out to them ...
                    So that is why I personally feel that DSA is really an important lifeline for GEP kids…. It is not their entitlement… but a real important lifeline…

                    My own personal 2cts worth ...

                    :goodpost: :udaman: :thankyou:


                    Hi, I understand that all parents are concerned for their kids. However, when looking at the DSA selection exercise in the perspective of a mainstream school kid, it is very disheartening as the GEPers and the mainstream students are fighting to get into the DSA in the same selection exercise and the GEPers have a known but undeclared priority over the mainstreamers. Since the two groups of students are not selected using same yardstick, schools should just set aside the actual number of vacancies available to mainstreamers applying under academic, after deciding how many vacancies go to GEPers. In this way, mainstreamers and GEPers do not compete in the same \"battleground\".

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      suecat
                      last edited by

                      cindylauper:
                      firefly38:

                      [quote=\"DaddyDaddy\"]Hi Blur Dad


                      I can really emphatise with you
                      Being a father of 2 GEP kids who had gone thru the GEP Programmes and DSA in the past couple of years, I feel that there's a lack of understanding of GEP programme and why DSA is a necessary & important path for GEP kids.

                      Let me put it this way.
                      I do not think my 2 kids who went through GEP programme necessarily any more intelligent nor any more deserving to go to the TOP IP schools than the kids from mainstream. The only difference is that for some reason ( which till today I also do not fully understand ) they were somehow selected for the GEP programme…
                      DSA to GEP kids is not and should never be an entitlement, but I would
                      dare say that DSA to GEP kids is a very very important lifeline.

                      Cannot agree more ! In the 1st place, they are already running from a different starting point .
                      Why?

                      The GEP programme is like a Decathlon Training & Exposure Programme ( 10 events - long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m, 110m, discus, pole vault, javelin, 1500m )
                      Whilst the PSLE is a Nationwide 400m race ...
                      So whilst the mainstream kids are prepared in a very focused manner for the 400m race ( PSLE ) from as early as P4 all the way to P6. The GEP kids are instead being focused on being ‘exposed’ to all the different Decathlon events.
                      I know my kids’ GEP teachers even constantly remind parents not to prepare their kids for PSLE but to support them and focus on allowing the kids to be exposed to as many things as possible, they assure us that they will start to seriously prepare our kids for PSLE from May/June of the PSLE year onwards... )

                      Imagine .. A GEP kid not getting a DSA to any of the IP schools that offer School Based Gifted Programme & knowing that only in August/September of PSLE year... they wld then hv to intensively prepare for the Nationwide 400m race ( PSLE ) in a short few months in P6 against a whole cohort of excellent athletes ( equally if not more intelligent & academically inclined students in mainstream )

                      There are many GEP kids ( I would venture, say 10%? of 500 = abt 50? ) without any CO/WL from any of the TOP IP schools after the DSA exercise.
                      It's also really not easy for them to really focus on preparing intensively for the PSLE ( when 90% of the classmates hv already gotten a DSA CO ). Put yrself in their shoes…. If I were them, I know I wld be really demoralised and find it difficult to ‘chiong’ when the other kids with DSA are not chionging to the same level. I know if I am a PSLE kid and I have a DSA CO, I wld not be chionging at the same level as I wld if I do not have a DSA CO, I am only human…. And I am an adult, what more a 12 yr old kid ??….

                      It's also not easy for them to compete against the mainstreamers in the PSLE ( A kid trained for decathlon having to compete in a nationwide 400m race with less than half a year of focused intensive training in the event against a whole bunch of just as able/more able kids who have been trained for the 400m race over 2-3 years )

                      Many of the GEP kids who find themselves in such a situation wld 'survive' at the end of the day ( get to a desired IP school via PSLE )
                      But there are also those who do not manage to do so... ( but whom I believe they wld be able to do so if only they had been as prepared and focused on the PSLE over P4-P6 like kids in the mainstream .. )
                      My heart really goes out to them ...
                      So that is why I personally feel that DSA is really an important lifeline for GEP kids…. It is not their entitlement… but a real important lifeline…

                      My own personal 2cts worth ...

                      :goodpost: :udaman: :thankyou:


                      Hi, I understand that all parents are concerned for their kids. However, when looking at the DSA selection exercise in the perspective of a mainstream school kid, it is very disheartening as the GEPers and the mainstream students are fighting to get into the DSA in the same selection exercise and the GEPers have a known but undeclared priority over the mainstreamers. Since the two groups of students are not selected using same yardstick, schools should just set aside the actual number of vacancies available to mainstreamers applying under academic, after deciding how many vacancies go to GEPers. In this way, mainstreamers and GEPers do not compete in the same \"battleground\".[/quote]

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • PiggyLalalaP Offline
                        PiggyLalala
                        last edited by

                        cindylauper:
                        DaddyDaddy:

                        Hi Blur Dad


                        I can really emphatise with you
                        Being a father of 2 GEP kids who had gone thru the GEP Programmes and DSA in the past couple of years, I feel that there's a lack of understanding of GEP programme and why DSA is a necessary & important path for GEP kids.

                        Let me put it this way.
                        I do not think my 2 kids who went through GEP programme necessarily any more intelligent nor any more deserving to go to the TOP IP schools than the kids from mainstream. The only difference is that for some reason ( which till today I also do not fully understand ) they were somehow selected for the GEP programme…
                        DSA to GEP kids is not and should never be an entitlement, but I would dare say that DSA to GEP kids is a very very important lifeline.
                        Why?

                        The GEP programme is like a Decathlon Training & Exposure Programme ( 10 events - long jump, shot put, high jump, 400m, 110m, discus, pole vault, javelin, 1500m )
                        Whilst the PSLE is a Nationwide 400m race ...
                        So whilst the mainstream kids are prepared in a very focused manner for the 400m race ( PSLE ) from as early as P4 all the way to P6. The GEP kids are instead being focused on being ‘exposed’ to all the different Decathlon events.
                        I know my kids’ GEP teachers even constantly remind parents not to prepare their kids for PSLE but to support them and focus on allowing the kids to be exposed to as many things as possible, they assure us that they will start to seriously prepare our kids for PSLE from May/June of the PSLE year onwards... )

                        Imagine .. A GEP kid not getting a DSA to any of the IP schools that offer School Based Gifted Programme & knowing that only in August/September of PSLE year... they wld then hv to intensively prepare for the Nationwide 400m race ( PSLE ) in a short few months in P6 against a whole cohort of excellent athletes ( equally if not more intelligent & academically inclined students in mainstream )

                        There are many GEP kids ( I would venture, say 10%? of 500 = abt 50? ) without any CO/WL from any of the TOP IP schools after the DSA exercise.
                        It's also really not easy for them to really focus on preparing intensively for the PSLE ( when 90% of the classmates hv already gotten a DSA CO ). Put yrself in their shoes…. If I were them, I know I wld be really demoralised and find it difficult to ‘chiong’ when the other kids with DSA are not chionging to the same level. I know if I am a PSLE kid and I have a DSA CO, I wld not be chionging at the same level as I wld if I do not have a DSA CO, I am only human…. And I am an adult, what more a 12 yr old kid ??….

                        It's also not easy for them to compete against the mainstreamers in the PSLE ( A kid trained for decathlon having to compete in a nationwide 400m race with less than half a year of focused intensive training in the event against a whole bunch of just as able/more able kids who have been trained for the 400m race over 2-3 years )

                        Many of the GEP kids who find themselves in such a situation wld 'survive' at the end of the day ( get to a desired IP school via PSLE )
                        But there are also those who do not manage to do so... ( but whom I believe they wld be able to do so if only they had been as prepared and focused on the PSLE over P4-P6 like kids in the mainstream .. )
                        My heart really goes out to them ...
                        So that is why I personally feel that DSA is really an important lifeline for GEP kids…. It is not their entitlement… but a real important lifeline…

                        My own personal 2cts worth ...

                        Hi, I understand that all parents are concerned for their kids. However, when looking at the DSA selection exercise in the perspective of a mainstream school kid, it is very disheartening as the GEPers and the mainstream students are fighting to get into the DSA in the same selection exercise and the GEPers have a known but undeclared priority over the mainstreamers. Since the two groups of students are not selected using same yardstick, schools should just set aside the actual number of vacancies available to mainstreamers applying under academic, after deciding how many vacancies go to GEPers. In this way, mainstreamers and GEPers do not compete in the same \"battleground\".

                        It is true that all parents are concerned for their own kids. The mainstreamers viewed that they are competing in a unfair battleground with the GEPers during the DSA. But the GEPers are also competing in a unfair battleground with the mainstream during PSLE. One has to understand that the real PSLE preparation for the GEPers starts in P6, end of term 2. Gepers are not genius in all subjects, they also need time to prepare for exam especially for their weaker subjects. The stress that the child went through is tremendous, first the P6SA1, then the DSA and interviews, follow by the outcomes of the DSA, and finally the PSLE. If the so called 'prority' is not given to the GEPers during DSA, many parents will think twice before putting their child in the GEP because of the stress, uncertainity and the unfair battleground during the PSLE. JMHO.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 697
                        • 698
                        • 699
                        • 700
                        • 701
                        • 918
                        • 919
                        • 699 / 919
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog
                        Nancy8868N
                        Nancy8868
                        j88chanccomJ
                        j88chanccom

                        Statistics

                        11

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy