Any tips for memorizing?
-
Is this Chinese dictation by teacher or they must memorise all 10 sentences and reproduce wholesale in writing? On avg how many characters per sentence?
-
Hi jetsetter, thank you for your reply.
The sentences are approx. 20-25 characters. Yes, these are for chinese dictation.
He’s also not able to remember his weekly chinese ting xie fully. I doubt he has any learning disability as he usually manage to pass his ting xie. I like to help him to be able to improve beyond just a pass. Hoping this will make him realise that he can do better than what he’s doing now.
Do you get your child to practise writing until they remember? Should i get him to record and then write from there? -
What is your child’s major learning style? If you use that, it could help. My 2 daughters have different styles - the visual one reads the text again and again silently, while the auditory one likes to read it out loud so she also hears the words. It works.
-
One sentence 20 words?
By the 7th sentence, i think i also have trouble…
Is this the norm?if yes,maybe i should start my younger boy on it too if it is useful as his school only does 2 sentences and less than 15 words…so say my p6 son… -
I get my DS to write and read out loud when he learns his Chi spelling and dictation. This is the most perfect combination for him so far. When he was younger, i will buy those box exercise book and gets him to write at least 7 - 10 times until he gets it. He is still using this method for his Chi in Sec 1 now.
-
Do you get him to write them down on a daily basis?
Since there are 10 sentences, if it were me, I would get him to memorise 2 different sentences each for the 1st 3 days, and 1 sentence each for the next 4 days, so that when the day of spelling comes, he would have memorised all of them.
I would memorise with him, demonstrate to him how I memorise eg. looking at the sentence and read it out for 10 times, then move the spelling list away before reciting the sentence again for another 5 times. Then I would get him to write it down. If he doesn’t know how to write the characters in the sentence, don’t make him memorise first. Get him to practise writing the characters first.
Another way is to get him to write out the sentence 10 times, until he is able to write it independently without looking at the sentence.
I would only move on to the second sentence after he is perfect with the first sentence. I would do likewise with the second sentence. Then get him to write down both sentences.
The next day, I would make sure he remembers the first two sentences before moving on to the 3rd sentence. So on the 2nd day, he would learn 4 sentences, not two. As he keeps practising the first 2 sentences repeatedly on the 2nd, 3rd … day, he would find the the previous sentences much easier than the new ones.
Memorising is about repetitive practices. -
Thank you very much for your replies, Super Mummies.
:thankyou:
Practise writing is done in school.
When he’s home, I asked him to record the sentences, and then play as he writes. 10 sentences in one go. I will check and circle those he made mistake. He does corrections by writing these characters 3 times.
The next day, we'll repeat the same process. I do this once per day only as he's reluctant to write more than one round per day.
There’s never a time when he could get all right. He’ll miss a couple of characters here and there. :frustrated:
Hi slmkhoo, :oops: sorry, how to find out his learning style? -
Wimpy Kid:
Hi slmkhoo, :oops: sorry, how to find out his learning style?
I think you can find simple questionnaires online if you google. But if you observe your child, you should be able to tell. A child who is visual likes to see things while learning. A child who is auditory will like to be told rather than to see. A child who is kinesthetic will learn better by doing. These are broad generalisations, and no-one is purely one type alone. For eg., my visual child would always sit where she could look at the book I was reading aloud, while my auditory one would prefer not to look at the book and just listen. The visual one will read silently to learn, while the auditory one will talk to herself! -
Wimpy Kid:
Sorry I'm really confused...Dictation means 默写is it? Teacher will read out the sentences, while kids write the characters out. Or do kids have to commit 10 sentences X 20 characters to memory and regurgitate on paper in the classroom?Thank you very much for your replies, Super Mummies.
:thankyou:
Practise writing is done in school.
When he’s home, I asked him to record the sentences, and then play as he writes. 10 sentences in one go. I will check and circle those he made mistake. He does corrections by writing these characters 3 times.
The next day, we'll repeat the same process. I do this once per day only as he's reluctant to write more than one round per day.
There’s never a time when he could get all right. He’ll miss a couple of characters here and there. :frustrated:
The former is a note-taking skill based more on auditory senses...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login