Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Difficult Relationship with Parents

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Relationships
    120 Posts 20 Posters 45.6k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      sakura_2009
      last edited by

      on_plus_kiasu:
      I'm really glad that I found this thread at this point of moment becoz I want to :rant: about my mum.

      She said \" I prayed that you won't get into your degree course because DD2 is too young for you to pursue a degree. Wait one more year!\"
      :!: :!: :!:
      I was having lunch with her and sis.
      :x :x :x :x
      Sis :oops: ducked her head and continued eating.
      No wonder she asked me out for lunch. πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

      I gave up my degree coz I got pregnant with DD1 and then one year later DD2. DH said okay for me to try again. Now waiting for reply, my mum said like that... :stupid:

      In the 1st place, she insisted I get married before I go uni. Then all this, :x :x :x :x :x :x

      Always want to control my life.... DH got angry with her during my confinement period with DD2. He didn't hear her calling him, she immediately started ranting and raving saying we don't respect her and started calling DH names. Wah, that period very stress man. Lucky, i didn't go :siao:

      Lucky, no thread about MIL, if not I will be there all the time also...
      DH also agree our family problems are never about our family. ALways about our parents.... πŸ˜›
      Since you have the full support of DH to go for your uni, just go ahead. You are already married and have a family of your own. What you decide and do should be between DH and yourself, not your mum (unless it affects her directly). Those are just my thoughts, coz this is exactly what I do and when my mum try to 'control my life', which she always used to do b4 I got married, I just told her I will decide what I want to do with DH, its not up to her to decide for me πŸ˜›

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • B Offline
        buds
        last edited by

        autumnbronze:
        mummy of 2:

        The silver lining is that I'm very aware of the kind of family environment and relationship I do not want for my kids. That motivates me to do things differently from my mother. I do not want to make the same mistakes as her.

        Nicely put, mummy of 2 πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

        You have summed up what I also believe in.

        Me three.. same same. :grphug:

        At least i hope so.. πŸ™

        Ya know how people say the more you say her, the less
        you realize you're becoming like her? That's scary.. I'm
        a daddie's girl thru and thru.. and used to have a cold
        relationship with her until i started working overseas..
        :lol: hahaa.. lost sparring partner. Then followed by
        the time i got married.. once again.. no one to
        scream at. :lol: My bros told me to come back
        arh, jie! :please:

        But i didn't turn out too bad somehow... since her vivid
        nagging screams are fresh in my mind till today πŸ˜‰...
        and mostly i realized tt she does actually mean well nia...
        no malice intended... ermm... :idea: ... some harm done
        to my psyche but hey still kickin' good and alive anyhow.

        Thanks mum, for your brutal wake up calls! :lol:
        It has helped me more than you know.. πŸ˜‰

        :snuggles:

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • MMMM Offline
          MMM
          last edited by

          I am the only child and have a close relationship with my mum even up till now. I only recalled that she cane me once. It was not very hard but I recall telling that "do you know that it hurts". It was for show I suppose.


          My parents didn’t have much expectations of me but have always been supportive of whatever I do. I recall that I had a "good for nothing" 1st boyfriend, followed by a boyfriend 12 years my senior. Though not ideal, they have never objected to our relationship. Fortunately for them? my hubby is different from the 1st 2 boyfriends.

          But frankly, I wished that my parents could have been more stern or demanding. As that probably created some "directions" and I could have strive to do better in school when I was younger and not wait till Sec 3 to kai qiao,etc…

          As a mum now, I don’t want to be like my mum though yes she treated me well. I set expectations for my kids and try to "push them" to do better. I feel that it is in the spirit of challenging oneself to do better in whatever you do and not be complacent. Also, I do express my disappointment and I am frank with what I think. But I will praise them and give them credit when it’s due. I maybe wrong but I feel that our generation being more educated should be better position to provide better guidance for our kids?

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • A Offline
            autumnbronze
            last edited by

            buds:
            Me three.. same same. :grphug:


            and used to have a cold
            relationship with her until i started working overseas..

            But i didn't turn out too bad somehow... some harm done
            to my psyche but hey still kickin' good and alive anyhow.

            Thanks mum, for your brutal wake up calls! :lol:
            It has helped me more than you know.. πŸ˜‰

            :snuggles:
            So I suppose we can say that we turned out not too bad despite the 'tough love' we were subjected to? We are fortunate. I have seen and known of gals who went wayward or suffered from extreme esteem problems because of this. I know of two who were in an abusive r/s - mentally/verbally/emotionally abused.

            I consider myself fortunate. I took solace in friendships. But they (my friends) were experimenting (teenage yrs) and I am glad I never fell into the trap.

            So yes, to a large xtend, my parents' conservatism and stictness kinda held me trodding on the right path. In fact, I was the 'auntie' in the grp. I would be the person they would turn to when they had probs, the first whom they will explicitly describe how their first time was etc .... πŸ˜„

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • B Offline
              buds
              last edited by

              Once again... same here sista... same here. :celebrate:


              Experimenting kinda friends oso same leh.. a lot in fact.. :lol:
              Voluntary offerings of experiment details from frenz oso same..
              Overshare in fact sometimes.. Hee.. but it's rude to interrupt
              when someone is sharing.. :lol:

              The shoulders many cry on..

              Conservative parents.. wow same. But that touch of honest to
              goodness reality sunk in deep down inside me. Sometimes i wonder
              if i'm too liberal with my girls for their own good? :scared: I shudder
              all of a sudden at one creepy thought..

              Wow.. a coincidence too many? Not just us.. our kiddies too.
              ie. your DS and my DD2.. :lol: The (why) Y-generation. πŸ˜„

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • O Offline
                on_plus_kiasu
                last edited by

                [quote]Since you have the full support of DH to go for your uni, just go ahead. You are already married and have a family of your own. What you decide and do should be between DH and yourself, not your mum (unless it affects her directly). Those are just my thoughts, coz this is exactly what I do and when my mum try to 'control my life', which she always used to do b4 I got married, I just told her I will decide what I want to do with DH, its not up to her to decide for me [/quote]
                Hehehe, totally agree. DH kept telling me to stop telling my mum about my plans but I kuai daughter mah! Everything also tell, thought she would support me. :slapshead: Still haven't learnt my lesson.. :clubmyself: Though she knows she has no more power sometimes she still manages to trick me into doing something I don't like... Mums have tremendous guilt power... Can really make you feel guilty with a look or a word... πŸ˜›
                [quote]As a mum now, I don't want to be like my mum though yes she treated me well. I set expectations for my kids and try to \"push them\" to do better. I feel that it is in the spirit of challenging oneself to do better in whatever you do and not be complacent. Also, I do express my disappointment and I am frank with what I think. But I will praise them and give them credit when it's due. I maybe wrong but I feel that our generation being more educated should be better position to provide better guidance for our kids?[/quote]Totally agree!!! :ugogirl:

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • O Offline
                  on_plus_kiasu
                  last edited by

                  Sorry peeps, I need to :rant: !


                  My mother has done it again! We are letting our maid go next month. My maid and I are parting on good terms and quietly preparing for her flight next month. My DDs are going to CC because I don't want another maid. My mother has CLEARLY shown her displeasure but is unable to persuade me and DH otherwise. Both DH and me been ignoring her offers because she was the reason I got a maid in the 1st place :x . She said she couldn't take care of DD1 then, 3 weeks before my maternity leave ended, hence the maid. So cannot trust her offers, so just ignore. πŸ˜›
                  She has been checking and arranging the maid's belongings (Good also lah, i don't need to check) but all my foodstuff also she put inside. My maid leaving and deposit for CC is costing me a BOMB!
                  The worst thing she said to me and DH was \"You all like so confident can cope without maid! Don't be arrogant! You don't know what's going to happen after themaid leaves\" and she told DH \" Good also the maid go, you can BE A FATHER\" :!: :!: :!: :x :x :x :x

                  Had to keep calming my DH down, don't want him to argue with her. We still need her to help fetch DDs from CC, 2 days a week. My mum didn't use to be like this. Menopause changed her alot... 😒 I miss my mummy!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mummyJune
                    last edited by

                    my mum look down on me & my DH. when DH & i were dating she say if i were to marry him she will disown me cos she never like DH. but heck care her, i still marry my DH.


                    when we bought our 5-rm flat, she said buy so big for wat & say she got no $ to LEND me for reno. but we used our own money, i never took a cent from her.

                    when i was pregnant, she said my tummy so small, i never eat iszit, dun starve her grandson. when i said i cant eat anymore cos very full, she force me to finish & say i waste food den complain to my dad, aunties etc

                    Always complain she no $, always complain her children no good, always compare other ppl with us.

                    she always say my son everything also duno. compare him, a 1yr old with a 5yrs old. anything she say abt my son i always argue back. she can say anything abt me but Y drag my son in. :x

                    she will embarass me in front of relatives or her friends & say things like me & DH everything duno still dare to ve baby. during my schooling days, my friends came over to my house, she embarassed me by telling them im so useless, duno how to cook maggi mee & duno how to wash panty.

                    she always talk bad abt my inlaws. :roll:

                    she always curse my grandfather(her FIL) to die.

                    i duno Y i ve such an evil mum. mayb i did something to her in my past thus ive such an evil mother.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • M Offline
                      mummy of 2
                      last edited by

                      mummyJune:
                      Always complain she no $, always complain her children no good, always compare other ppl with us.

                      Mine is like that too. Basically she's avery unhappy person. Sometimes I pity her. But at least she has not said anything bad abt my kids.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • M Offline
                        mummyJune
                        last edited by

                        mummy of 2:
                        mummyJune:

                        Always complain she no $, always complain her children no good, always compare other ppl with us.


                        Mine is like that too. Basically she's avery unhappy person. Sometimes I pity her. But at least she has not said anything bad abt my kids.

                        same as u, sometimes i pity her. & i also pity my dad for having such an unreasonable wife. yet sometimes my dad will back my mum up by siding her to scold us. :x

                        i duno y ive such weird parents. even my sis oso dislike gg back ever since she got married & moved out.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 10 / 12
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        ColinaC
                        Colina

                        Statistics

                        4

                        Online

                        211.3k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy