Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. MadScientist
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 4
    • Posts 337
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Any remedies for one who is very tired every day?

      northernstar:
      my DH is complaining how exhausted he is everyday no matter working anot. b4 we are married, he already complains that often.


      sometimes, he will just doze off while watchin tv.

      he has tried these methods but they are of no use to him:
      - drink coffee.
      - sleep early.
      - have 8 - 10 hrs of sleep.
      - have naps.
      - drink herbal tea.
      - take Redoxon pills.
      - go jogging once in awhile.
      - taking cold bath.

      i ask him to ask doc but he dun listen :roll: wonder isit cos of work stress.. :?:

      any suggested ideas here? 😉
      If you do not mind my comments/questions...

      does he sleep well?
      It could be due to mild sleep apena... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

      It sounds like his rest is not quality, even with quantity.

      Otherwise, it could be stress-related somewhat...
      A good lifestyle review may be necessary, for a lot more regular exercise, healthier diet, and etc.
      Changing ones attitude and outlook is difficult but may do wonders too.

      At times, a good long vacation can help.

      Perhaps visiting a correct specialist should be in the cards.

      All the best!

      PS. for some, the water source is a wonderful place to start off with... see this thread: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4141&start=40

      posted in Health
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: Back Pain

      orchids:
      MadScientist:




      A nagging back pain may be due to a couple of reasons...

      There may be underlying medical reasons, or bad posturing during sleep, sitting, or just a nominal degeneration of the spinal tissues.

      Firstly, get a geriatric specialist to see her... Then assess from there.

      A massage may do you good but must be more careful with geriatrics. I am not a specialist in this area but have a MIL who is 70.

      Another way that I find useful is a rather non-conventional method using energetics. It helped me with my pain from an old back injury, as well as headaches. It may jot be a cure, but a good supplemental aid.

      All the best!


      My mom has tried the Chinese methods of acupuncture, cupping, etc
      but they didn't work. Now she is basically relying on western medicine,
      the painkiller, which I'm worried about its side effects.

      I'm interested in the energetics that you mentioned. Could you please
      explain more.

      Thanks.

      I still recommend that you first figure out what are the underlying possible causes.
      Pain is there to tell you something, so do not ignore it. IMHO, when geriatrics tell you it's pain, it really is pain.
      Also consider a geriatric specialist visit... reasons which I can tell you later, perhaps privately.

      As for the energetics... it's something you can find out more, then test out.

      Will PM you more details.

      posted in Health
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: Greetings from a noob...

      Thanks for the warm welcome... Really enjoying the reads and sharing... 🙂

      posted in Newbies & Clubs
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: Back Pain

      orchids:
      Lately my 70 year-old mom is having a nagging back pain.

      Heard that massage can help to relieve such pain.
      Any good recommendation?

      TIA.

      A nagging back pain may be due to a couple of reasons...

      There may be underlying medical reasons, or bad posturing during sleep, sitting, or just a nominal degeneration of the spinal tissues.

      Firstly, get a geriatric specialist to see her... Then assess from there.

      A massage may do you good but must be more careful with geriatrics. I am not a specialist in this area but have a MIL who is 70.

      Another way that I find useful is a rather non-conventional method using energetics. It helped me with my pain from an old back injury, as well as headaches. It may jot be a cure, but a good supplemental aid.

      All the best!

      posted in Health
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace

      gracey109:
      Hi Jeanieg! I am happy to read about your comments on CHIJ OLQP. It is my first choice actually even if we are under Phase 2B. I am looking for a well rounded and balanced school which will make my daughter thrive and excel in other skills like leadership and be confident. I am not so keen on purely academic schools. Though some of my friends said I should have gone to Pei Hwa (my husband is a graduate there so can register under Phase 2A2). I know it's one of the top schools and their PSLE results are good. So was feeling bad for a while until I read your comments. Seems you're happy with the school. Can you share some more? Thanks!

      Hi gracey109,
      Am glad that you liked my feedback.
      First and foremost, there is no need to feel bad. You do your best as a parent, what's there really to feel bad about?
      About PSLE results... I wouldn't be too worried. They are going into Primary 1... Let them enjoy and savor each stage as it comes so that the preparation for the next is as complete as can be.
      Furthermore... Both my bro and myself had PSLE results <200 and I say it proudly as we both are a far cry from what was then. The real lesson is about doing what matters, and learning when it needs to be. Perhaps that is another story for another day...

      Yes, I am rather pleased with OQLP...
      I dunno if other schools do these things, but in our experienc so far, the school organizes quite a number of excursions, and the latest is a trip to the Bt Timah Railway Station one fine morning with the upper Primary kids bringing the lower Primary.
      This served two-fold to me IMHO... That the older kids bond and learn to guide younger girls, and the younger girls learn from role models. Both learnt a fair deal about a historical piece of Singapore.
      I had brought my kids to the BTRS on Youth Day, and a week later, the school organized a trip there. IMHO, it was a good call as it was an opportunity to seize. I can only imagine what rush it was to organize I, and teachers' teaching schedules get messed up.

      On another part, they do a decent bit of Show & Tell... Pepare your kids for something like that if they are not used to it yet. I am not sure if other schools do such things but my nephew in BPPS nearby doesn't seem to have such activities.

      The school is not only about the girls... It's about the parents as well.
      They do have seminars on things like how to teach your kids Maths. Our generation of Maths is obsolete... Theirs now is a dynamic thinking model, which many of us grapple with.

      IMHO, align your home teachings with the school... Or at least consider finding a school which has values, and infuses these values, that align with your home/family values.

      Am not the only happy parent... This thread is filled with feedback from other parents since 2009, and it is warming for me to read such comments as well.

      I do wish you all the best...

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: St Joseph's Institution Junior

      Any parents here alumni of SJIJ (SMS)?


      How does the P1 registration process goes, and is there an official alumni or SJIOBA?

      Appreciate advice.

      Cheers!

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace

      jeanieg:
      Thanks madscientist for the quick reply!


      BTPS is Bukit Timah Pri. I know I can definitely get in and it's one of the 4 schools within my 1-2km radius ( paid SLA to get the info). The other schools are MGS ( which I can cross out of my list already), BTPS, Keming in Bukit Batok and Pei Hwa (which I think it's too 'tough, a school for me). Guess will consider Chij. Thanks again for the info!
      No worries...
      I thought the radius might be available from MOE site?

      Wish you all the best!

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace

      jeanieg:


      Hi Madscientist, thank you for the feedback and encouragement! Appreciate it!
      I am in a dilemma now...whether to choose this school or BTPS. I am living out of 2km from CHIJ so chances of balloting is possible. AND, since I heard about the 'staying back' thingy, I am worried that it will be too tough on my gal. Am also wondering if I should go to a mixed school rather than 10 years of all-gal school...hmmmm

      May I know what is this Essential class? Extra lessons on current subjects or new stuff to learn? And do the P1 stay back too? My head spinning already thinking of my upcoming registration!
      Hi jean,

      Pls go down to the school... they should have a map there that circles the 2km radius. You know, the line cuts into my block... and only the unit I am staying in... the other units of the block are on the other side of the line! Then again, we are RCs, so got in in an earlier phase.

      What is BTPS?

      If you read the earlier posts in this thread, you actually gather a lot of info from other parents impressions since 2009...
      I was in all boys school 10 years ... would not change it for the world if I had a chance to reset.
      From my dotter, I see that she is enjoying... afterall, other classes she goes to are mixed classes, so it is not a real problem, if at all. Our generation used to go to school, then go home. This generation has evening/weekend enrichment classes that are mixed... so, socially, they are better equipped than we were (less the computers)!

      There is Chinese Speech & Drama and extra cirriculum class.
      The other two days are the CCA and the language which are optional.

      P1 stay back one or two the most... P2s may have more options... in our experience. Perhaps you worry too much... P1 has no exams... so, good for them to phase in and get in the groove.

      Cheers!

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace

      jeanieg:
      Hi mommies and daddies I am keen to register my gal in chij olqp but I do not knw much abt the school. I heard from a mom whose gals are there that her kids stay back everyday and if I am not wrong, that on wednesdays, it has extended school hours? Wow , wont the kids get tired? Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks!

      I have one child there, and another going in...

      So far, this is an impressive convent girls' school if you ask me... the child development is very all rounded and I particularly like the values they teach, which IMHO is more important than the cirriculum itself. They endorse a very positive attitude approach in the students. OQLP really went over my expectations as we were worried about CCA being limited, etc. The teachers there are pretty good too if you ask me. Of course, there is more to improve, but they are doing very well by any standards IMHO.

      My child does stay twice a week... but recently upped to 4 days a week. The school transport system is supportive for afterschool events, which is a great relief.
      If I am not wrong, two days are for essential classes, and one for CCA... the last additional day is an opt-in for conversational language. We were also worried at some point for the conversational 3rd language, but our child had the attitude and made the commitment (as a 8 yo would surprisingly) and she throughly enjoys herself.

      Tired? Yes... that's why we need to adjust our return home for work timing to spend time with the kids, and then make sure she sleeps as early as possible. It's DO-able... just how we manage it all.

      Also, the parent's attitude says it all...
      I have two criteria for my children - Do your best and have fun.
      IF they do their best, no one else can say anything... and if it is fun for them, then they will drive themselves.

      Have faith in your kids... they are from you too. You did pretty fine, and so will they.

      All the best!

      posted in Primary Schools - Parent Networking Groups
      M
      MadScientist
    • RE: Greetings from a noob...

      Thanks for the welcome…


      This place is really overwhelming… the number of new post overnight is amazing!

      posted in Newbies & Clubs
      M
      MadScientist
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy