Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. millan
    3. Posts
    M
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 16
    • Posts 139
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: All About GEP

      ChiefKiasu:
      millan:

      ... I am educated but i really yet to see how he is so called gifted. 😛 So far, he seems ok with his work and is happy abt the curriculum, tho there are times he is stuck and that is when we step in to help...


      Actually, my post is not meant as criticism to your request, but really an answer to your question of how to help your child revise for GEP. Assuming that is your objective, the most logical answer is to sign your child up with the \"professionals\" who have, no doubt, a deep understanding of GEP questions and kids who are bright enough can definitely be trained to be exam smart. I have also no doubt that a number of kids currently in GEP have gone through some of these courses. I then tried to explain why going this route doesn't make a lot of sense, and why leaving your child alone is the best approach.

      If you wish, a quick way of testing whether your kid is gifted or not is to go to Popular bookstore and buy one of those Math Olympiad test books for P4 and see if your kid has any problems answering them. If he/she can do so without much help from you, then he is pretty much there.

      Hi,

      I dun take it as a criticism.. 🙂 This is a discussion and trying to gather experiences.

      Oh can test like that?

      ok thks..

      posted in GEP
      M
      millan
    • RE: All About GEP

      ChiefKiasu:
      millan:

      ...May I should we help to revise GEP's subjects.


      ok to leave them alone?

      Hi millan, how to help them revise when you don't even know what kind of questions they will be asking? And if you do the extra bit by signing your kid up for the many GEP preparatory classes out there, ask yourself if you are really helping your child hone his gifted abilities, or if you doing it because you think it is good for him to be in the GEP.

      Most Singaporean parents are educated enough to know if their kids are really gifted in languages and math. If we think our child is gifted and sign him/her up for the preparatory classes, would we not be wasting our money since they should be able to do well themselves in the tests? If we think our child is bright but not gifted, why would we be trying to get him/her into a program for gifted children?

      That's why, to me, preparing a child for GEP doesn't make any sense at all.

      Hi,

      It is true that I really dun know what they are tested, which is why I'm not sure what to do with him. I am educated but i really yet to see how he is so called gifted. 😛 So far, he seems ok with his work and is happy abt the curriculum, tho there are times he is stuck and that is when we step in to help.

      My colleague, whose son is alo GEP, advised me to buy P5 assessment book for him,which I am not sure if this is ok, as his syllabus is kind of weird kind.

      I dun believe in training to enter GEP but looking on more of how to help them. you can be gifted, in chinese saying, genius can be born (xian tian) but they need to hou tian....

      I would be glad that I can just leave him alone. I'm am just concerned that I am not doing my part as a parent to help him..

      t

      posted in GEP
      M
      millan
    • RE: PSLE Chinese - General Discussion

      caroline3sg:
      millan

      Mine is RGPS. Should be as you said exam format, plus Sec Sch posting. I heard my girl said one student asked dance teacher to teach dance steps for DSA. I also received letter from Eng teacher on conducting interview (ie helpful for those applying through DSA) and ask to provide CD for recording the interview process.


      tianzhu
      Is your son in GEP? RGPS GEP is using I-Science. But this yr, mainstream switch to Perfect Match. Seems teacher never use text but ask students to learn from internet. So I did a lot of printing from internet in office.
      Wow, so on.. thot we should let the student express freely..

      Any advice on how you coach your girl, this a a good school, a lot of grilling from school?

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      M
      millan
    • RE: All About GEP

      [Moderator's note: Topics merged.]


      Hi,

      May I should we help to revise GEP's subjects.

      ok to leave them alone?

      posted in GEP
      M
      millan
    • RE: PSLE Chinese - General Discussion

      caroline3sg:
      millan

      I am going for PSLE briefing tomorrow (ie for parents).
      `


      Yours is which school?

      Basically they will go thru the Exam format, the enrolment basis .. see if the same , mine son's school is South View.

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      M
      millan
    • RE: PSLE Chinese - General Discussion

      Went for briefing on PSLE last night and whew it is will grilling time for my son by school.


      Gotten back his CA results, perform below his std cos he dilly dally, knowing the concepts but lazy to apply.

      I am now abit confused on how to ‘grill’ him on top of his work, but not to let him lose steam due to too much work.

      And to pyscho him that P6 is a milestone not a trip.

      still trying to figure out… now abt 7 mths to PSLE…

      any advice?

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      M
      millan
    • PSLE Chinese - General Discussion

      Moderator's Note: Please use this thread to ask for help on specific questions. Please refrain from out of topic chatter in this thread to make it easier for the community to find the answers they need.


      Hi,
      Anyone knows where to get the full listing of words that PLSE will cover/ I was told there was a such a list?

      posted in Primary 6 & PSLE
      M
      millan
    • RE: PSLE

      yah yah, same kind of mentality lor. He is even complaining that teacher is using 8 steps to do a sum while he can do by 2 steps. My this son is actually quite smart, can grasp concepts very fast but dun like to work hard…


      His CA is coming next week but I’m kinda lax on him as not to pressure him by giving him extra work. But I still feel he is quite relax…leh

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      millan
    • PSLE

      My son is in PSLE this year. He is in the best class. Which is why the form teacher, which is also the discipline master has spelled out the KPI for them.


      My son seems to dread to go school, complaining that teachers are evil, giving them lots of works, finishinh the syllabus before the term and keep repeating the same topic in class which he is feeling very bored…

      I am concerned that he feels bored and starts to loose interest at the begining of the term. I have been telling him that this yr is a milestone for him, but this seems not getting into him…

      He is an avid reader, and I think recently , he is reading even more…

      what shall I do?

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      M
      millan
    • 1
    • 2
    • 10
    • 11
    • 12
    • 13
    • 14
    • 14 / 14
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy