Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login
    1. Home
    2. Peony
    3. Posts
    P
    Offline
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 0
    • Topics 0
    • Posts 411
    • Groups 0

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: Do teachers teach these days?

      limlim:
      Peony:


      The majority do teach, but if you end up with the black sheep who doesn't, you have to step in to ensure your child does not suffer the consequences of having such a teacher.

      The sad thing is that there are black sheep that is allowed to strive amidst the white sheeps.....

      if only there's a way to weed out the black sheeps....

      Giving feedback to the school is one step. But have to be objective, \"give benefit of the doubt\" and monitor over time. Of course by then, more than half a year is over.

      I've met parents who had faced the same teacher and the same situation but they just endure. I decided to feedback as I don't want others to go through it - for \"greater good\".

      Soon others gave feedback too. In a nutshell, we can see that the school has taken steps to minimise this problem. PM me if you want to know how as I'm not comfortable with revealing here.

      My point is, keeping silent is pepertuating the problem but if we just complain loudly, we'd be labelled too. Have to be thought through and objective especially as we're not talking about most teachers just the black sheep.

      They do get very sensitive so have to be tactful.

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: Do teachers teach these days?

      octoberbaby:
      They do teach.


      Depends on the kids whether know how to apply or not.
      That's what I thought until I encountered a teacher who told me point blank to enrol DD in enrichment centres - learning lab, learning point etc were mentioned.

      First time I encountered such a teacher. She \"taught\" all 3 subjects some more. That year, I had to engage a tutor for DD.

      She was the only teacher I ever encounted who was like that. Even the teachers who took the class the following year were shocked at how some basic things were not taught. You may not believe one child but how can the whole lot in what was supposed to be the best class be lying?

      This is a disadvantage of being in the \"best class\". There are teachers who having learnt that the majority have tuition/enrichments or \"very on\" SAHMs decide that she need not be \"teaching\" - just reap the rewards of a class that performs well. And parents like me have to scramble to look for help as our kids are the \"minority\".

      The amusing part is that DD, who sits by the door, actually picks up some tips from another class teacher, teaching a \"lower ability\" class. Even she can tell me that the teacher there actually teaches much more.

      The majority do teach, but if you end up with the black sheep who doesn't, you have to step in to ensure your child does not suffer the consequences of having such a teacher.

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: 2013 Sec 1 Discussions

      janet_lee88:

      Regarding academic work, his school teachers seem to be teaching well... πŸ™ hope this continues into rest of his secondary school life. Getting homework done alone is insufficient...he has to revise. So, he will get written work done first and then continue with revision after dinner and bath. It's a new ball game at secondary level...very very different. He has to learn to ask teachers if he doesn't understand.
      Same in my case - much better teaching and learning... no tuition for now and my wallet feels happier!! πŸ˜‰

      posted in Secondary Schools - Academic Support
      P
      Peony
    • RE: Have it ever happened to you?

      JJ1111:
      Many years ago...


      I have a dream about my best friend father trying to tell me something. I couldn't figure out what he want to tell me. But I could feel that he is SAD. When I woke up, I didn't take it into my heart. That late afternoon, my best friend called me, telling me that her father committed suicide. 😞

      I have been feeling bad all this year. Thinking if I were to tell my best friend about my dream, will it be different? Will she be able to stop her father in time? 😞

      Another 1 is, I dream of a guy very sad. Squatting at a corner. I couldn't see his face. 1 - 2 weeks later, saw in newspaper, my ex-boyfriend committed suicide because of a girl.

      But hor everytime I dream about 4D no., it NEVER win leh. LOL!!!!

      My hubby dream that his company car was stolen. He told me his nightmare in the morning and I just laugh it off. True enough that morning, we couldn't find his car in the carpark. His company car was LOST!!!! This I feel very eerie... πŸ˜›
      er... you feel more eerie with regards to the lost car?

      I feel more eerie with regards to the two souls that were in your dreams before they commited suicide. :scared:

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: Have it ever happened to you?

      MR06:
      Peony:

      I have dreams almost every night. Some random, some symbolic and some are clearly a glimpse of the future e.g. I dreamt of my DD even before I conceived her and I dream of a setting I was in a few months before I even knew I would be headed there.


      Most dreams I have are \"opposite\" of what actually happens e.g. dreamt of DD's results and what was the highest score in the dream turned out to be the lowest.

      I pay attention to my dream, especially the symbolic ones as I take it as my subconscious trying sending the fully conscious a message. And if I don't \"use\" this sense, I will eventually lose it.

      😒 I had lost it...... I had been ignoring my dreams. Even when I woke up from seeing 4D, I did not bother to jot down the numbers and the next day try as hard as I could to recall the numbers, I couldn't. 😒 😒 😒

      er... try to reactivate? Start by writing down key infor?
      I started paying attention to my dreams as a teenager when my teacher told us to write down what we dream. The key was to place a journal next to our bed and immediately writing what we dreamt in the journal e.g. airplane, fire, crash etc.

      Now I don't write but immediately \"save\" by recalling back... πŸ˜‰

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: Have it ever happened to you?

      keroppi:
      Peony:

      I have dreams almost every night. Some random, some symbolic and some are clearly a glimpse of the future e.g. I dreamt of my DD even before I conceived her and I dream of a setting I was in a few months before I even knew I would be headed there.


      I had one of this too. A very vivid dream of 1-year-old DS when I was pregnant. At that time I was at the early stage so we didn't know the sex yet. I woke up and told my hubby that it's a boy but have superlong curly eyelashers like a girl. One year on, when I held him on the high chair and looked at him, I remember this was exactly the scenario I dreamed in that dream (same wooden Ikea highchair too). The same face, same eyes, same eyelashers. This one was pretty amazing so I never forgot.

      Amazing, right?! My DD's cute face in the dream also exactly what she looked like later as a toddler!

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: Have it ever happened to you?

      I have dreams almost every night. Some random, some symbolic and some are clearly a glimpse of the future e.g. I dreamt of my DD even before I conceived her and I dream of a setting I was in a few months before I even knew I would be headed there.


      Most dreams I have are "opposite" of what actually happens e.g. dreamt of DD’s results and what was the highest score in the dream turned out to be the lowest.

      I pay attention to my dream, especially the symbolic ones as I take it as my subconscious trying sending the fully conscious a message. And if I don’t "use" this sense, I will eventually lose it.

      posted in Recess Time
      P
      Peony
    • RE: * Temasek JC (TJC)

      beezlebubz:
      Peony:

      [quote=\"beezlebubz\"]yes the olive green is ugly...omg got 5pointers going there, that means 1 less slot for me T.T i know one 2pointer considering there also 😠 ....competition..


      :rotflmao: Yah, I've heard of many who bypass this JC ONLY because of the uniform.

      The good news is that you wear the full uniform (in the less tasteful shade of green) on Mondays only.

      The rest of the week, you wear a polo or a tee in nicer shades or even other colours (orientation tee, etc).

      After a while it doesn't matter any more.

      omg?? only need wear uni once? thats awesome!! are you from tjc btws?[/quote]hee.. no. A parent with a DD there. πŸ˜„
      Good luck on your posting!!

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      P
      Peony
    • RE: DSA 2013

      They can ask anything from general knowledge and current affairs to child's hobby, to why they chose that school


      Good to be mentally prepared but an over-rehearsed child will appear... over-rehearsed! :yikes:

      Important for the child to relax and be his/herself. They might \"enjoy\" the interview better and leave a good impression.

      On the way to the interview I casually asked my DD a random interview question and... her reply was like an oral exam!! :faint:

      Reminded her to talk the way she would with her favourite teacher. That eased her and put a smile on her face.

      posted in Secondary Schools - Selection
      P
      Peony
    • RE: * Temasek JC (TJC)

      Blabla1234:
      Peony:

      [quote=\"beezlebubz\"]yes the olive green is ugly...omg got 5pointers going there, that means 1 less slot for me T.T i know one 2pointer considering there also 😠 ....competition..


      :rotflmao: Yah, I've heard of many who bypass this JC ONLY because of the uniform.

      Nothing can be worse than NJ's grey uniform. :stompfeet: :stompfeet: :stompfeet:[/quote]Oh ya!!! They \"win\" hands down!!! :siam:

      posted in Tertiary Education - A-Levels
      P
      Peony
    • 1 / 1
      About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy