I am not sure how \"in line\" Kumon is compared to the Spore syllabus. I am assuming it is not since Kumon has always pride themselvess on their special worksheets.
My kids did Kumon Chinese when we were living in Taiwan. That must be one of their most dreaded period of their lives! LOL (even tho we were there just once a week. there were kids who went daily). Till now, the kids still make jokes whenever they see any Kumon ctrs here. \"Come on, Kumon ...\" .
:lol:
The good thing that I learnt from Kumon was to use a timer for ds (to focus). I did the same for him when he was younger. With timer set for 15-20mins each time, he could finish his hw with less distraction.
I must say some of the Chinese comprehension were \"nice to read\" but it got harder and the repetition also became a turn-off after awhile. (I am not sure of it is done the same way too here... ie. need to repeat the same worksheets 2-3 times) We stopped eventually when elder dd got to E or F. Can't remember which level ds stopped at. No regrets. 
Posts
-
RE: Kumon - Discussion
-
RE: All About GEP
Zann:
Hi all, kindly advise me what will be the topics for next week P5 investigative maths ct1,part 3 . Till now still there is no clue from ds sch.[/quote]What's Part 3?MotherHen:
[quote=\"Herbie\"]yeap, my dd also submitted her ss project and idp.next they will be workin on adv. Project submission seems endless.
I know. Just when I thought something is done, dd comes home with another piece of work. Goodness, when can they finally start to concentrate on revision...?
So far, I do not keep track of Math as Ds can manage on his own.
I helped by being his audience (if he has a presentation) like 100x *roll eyes* and read his assignment.
He has to re-do his IRS topic. I think most of his classmates are going onto their proposal 2 and here he is, still not confirmed on topic yet. :roll:
According to ds, they were given a mock math test ytd. So the kids should know what they need to work on for next week. -
RE: Failing Grade 1 piano exam
I also think something is not right. Has your friend looked through the examinerโs report? What did it say? From there, she would be able to understand why her ds didnโt do well.
If her ds is still interested in piano, I would suggest changing a teacher/ school. Take a break from taking exams (to build his confidence). Take it when he is ready. He does not have to re-take G1. Just take whichever grade he is ready for then. -
RE: Failing Grade 1 piano exam
titank:
U do not have to take/ pass any lower grades at all to take G8 practical. The only requirement is u need to pass gr5 theory.Wow can jump Grade where do not have to take Grade by Grade?
Like that can we take G1 then jum G4 after that straight to G8? :celebrate: -
RE: School Of The Arts, Singapore
ppnqq:
Needs clarification - for students at SOTA, do they have to take all forms of art (visual arts, theatre, dance, music etc) or they only take what they are good at?
They only specialise in one discipline. However, they do have opportunities to try out other art forms too under other periods. I forgot what is that \"subject/period\" called. At times, the school will open up slots for students who are interested in other medium as beginners depends on the school's needs (eg art students to learn beginning violin, violin students can learn viola/ bass) . Students sign up for them on their own accord.
[quote]Another question : If a child is talented in art, eg, good in drawing comic but no background, no special art/sch attended, only drawing at own free will at own free time, but is always being selected by the teachers to draw for the class notice board etc. Any chance for them to get in?[/quote]Of course! Just make sure your child prepares his/her portfolio according to the Talent Camp requirement (see SOTA online). Be confident, friendly and be yourself during the TA. All the Best! -
RE: All About GEP
Ds's sc teacher told them today, whoever has not started on their IDP is in serious trouble.
He will have do it over the weekend too. -
RE: High Ability Pupils - Maths. How are you stretching them?
I think if the school has identify him as HA in Math, then I won't worry abt the academic part.
My ds (also P5) just joined the Spore sch system late last yr. Before that, he was attending schools overseas. As there were no provisions for kids like him in the international schools, the schools allowed him to take the John Hopkins Distance Program (paid by the sch). He has completed Honors Algebra 1 and is eligible to move onto the next course which is Honors Algebra II or Geometry. Besides this course, I did not do anything else for him. He loves to read Math books. He started Murderous Math series when he was 8yo. That was really a great series! He also love Edward Zaccaro's books (avail on Amazon) then.
Now that he is in the Spore sch system (GEP), he didn't continue with the Distance course. The homework from school is enough. I don't want any more academic training for him. He joins the AMEC in school but has yet to participate in any Math Olympiad competitions. He still reads alot but I only buy books selectively. Just visit the Library and look under Index 510. There are loads of interesting Math books!
If u wish to explore more, u can consider going online. u can look at the following sites for ideas. If your ds is interested to learn more advance topics, he can do so online too.
http://mathforum.org/dr/math/
http://www.khanacademy.org/
http://www.montereyinstitute.org/courses/
For these kids, self learning is important. I think it is also important to encourage other passions.
HTH -
RE: Printer Recommendation!
titank:
You are right. I bought a Canon 3 in 1 printer for $99 but the black cartridge costs $26 while the colours costs $35.That means now printer can cost like $0-$99 & expect you to pay high price for the cat ridges?
It seem that once you open it would dry up very fast if you never print it.
If printing for info only, choose \" gray scale\" and \" fast draft\" under print settings before printing. Will help to save ink. -
RE: All About GEP
sleepy:
To me, this is not a difficult decision at all because GEP training should not even exist in the first place. The only ones who benefit from these workshops are the tutors. If your friend believes that her ds is gifted, he most likely is. So he will not need any extra coaching for the screening. JMO.
To send or not to send for GEP training
My neighbhour is half hearted whether to send her ds for GEP training.
On one hand, she feels that it's money down the drain since he probably
doesn't NEED it. He is a member of Mensa, obtained high distinctions in all ICAS papers, top his cohort. Yet on the other hand, she has this nagging thought telling her 'just in case', afterall no harm having more practice?
Her ds day dreams in class the entire time. Principal told her to wait for GEP screening since the school does not have extra resources to allocate
any attention to her ds. And IF for whatever reason he is not selected, he
has to suffer for another 3 years?
Indeed a difficult decision :roll:
Hi Parents
What do you think? Hers is not hothoused kind
So to send or not to send for GEP training in this situtation
:scratchhead: