Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Meet-The-Parents Session

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Primary Schools - Academic Support
    140 Posts 54 Posters 48.7k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • E Offline
      en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
      last edited by

      I went to ds PTC yesterday. Since there is no issue to be discuss. I just briefly mentioned that ds was occupied after school during examination period as he was visiting his grandfather in hospital until night time and has no time for revision. I was also travelling right after my father was discharge, so not a single time spend in coaching him. With ds good result, I thank the teacher’s effort and feedback that whatever that she is doing, please do continue. It seems her class does extremely well, class average at 87 marks. I did not know that those students who arrive in class early (by 7 am) will be asked to do math worksheets before school official start until she told me yesterday.


      So PTC is just not about the student or parents but of course do give credits to teachers that put their heart and soul in educating our children.

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • N Offline
        NIEtrainedTEACHER
        last edited by

        PTC is always a tense situation. What some people do not realise, I mean even the teachers, is PTC is supposed to be a discussion session regarding the child’s progress and performance.


        At times, both the teachers and parents play the role of accuser to the point that either party becomes defensive and it gets blown out of proportion.

        What generally should be done would be to discuss these few issues,

        Parents;
        1. How is the child’s performance in the class - both academically and attitude towards lesson.

        2. What does this result mean and what should be the follow up.

        3. Any way to help the child at home - get some tips.

        Teachers;
        1. Find out about what is happening with the child after school.

        2. Give tips to parents on how to follow up at home cause the child’s education is a collaboration between both party

        3. Prepare a follow up study plan for the child based on the current result which the parents could use at home.

        One of the thing which I find amusing when I had my PTC with the parents, the first question most of the asked was - Is my child behaving in class?

        Usually, I will have to tell them that let’s look at the result first before we talk about the behaviour aspect. I think that should be priority during PTC.

        As for behaviour issues, I will find out from the parent first as to how the child is at home and make a comparison to how the child is in school. Then if there is a big difference in term of behaviour, I will work with the parents to find the reason and both of us will agree to help the child, if it is negative.

        Regards

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • W Offline
          watmekiasu
          last edited by

          NIEtrainedTEACHER:


          One of the thing which I find amusing when I had my PTC with the parents, the first question most of the asked was - Is my child behaving in class?

          Usually, I will have to tell them that let's look at the result first before we talk about the behaviour aspect. I think that should be priority during PTC.


          Regards
          That's because we do not wish to give the impression that we are academically obsessed parents. :oops: Trust me, we're just trying to get over the niceties ASAP to focus on the real issue, that's academic performance. 😉

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • N Offline
            NIEtrainedTEACHER
            last edited by

            Hahaha...I know that...Most parents are trying to be diplomatic. 😉

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • E Offline
              en107rn.01056yahoo.01056com.01056sg
              last edited by

              [quote]One of the thing which I find amusing when I had my PTC with the parents, the first question most of the asked was - Is my child behaving in class? [/quote]
              Oh...dear. No wonder ds teacher was laughing when I posed this question. But only difference is that I ask at the end of the PTC. I was afraid good results will give ds excuse of misbehaving in class. 😓

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • N Offline
                NIEtrainedTEACHER
                last edited by

                EN,


                Well I guess from now on, most of us will have an idea of why a teacher may grin when this question is asked.... 😉

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • B Offline
                  Bowie
                  last edited by

                  Its the meet parents season!!!


                  I wonder what kind of questions you guys and ladies will discuss when you meet the teachers? :?

                  My gal is in Nursary (4yo tis yr). I have my first experience last year. it is a short session with the teacher do most of the talking.... Your gal is doing very well..... very attentive.... fast learner.... etc etc... Before I know it, it ended.

                  I hope this coming session will be a more fruitful one.
                  I am hoping to learn more from the teachers how my gal do in class, what areas of improvement, how can I help.... etc etc.

                  I am not good in asking Qns.
                  Do share what kind of questions you will discuss with the teachers, really wan to know how to get more info out of this discussion.

                  Thanx Thanx!!

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • M Offline
                    mum03
                    last edited by

                    Hi Bowie,

                    Thats a very good Question, Sorry to hijack your question My girl is in Pri 1, and I have my PTM tomorrow and would appreciate if anyone could advice what to ask the teachers.

                    Thks Rds

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • CoffeeCatC Offline
                      CoffeeCat
                      last edited by

                      mum03:
                      Hi Bowie,

                      Thats a very good Question, Sorry to hijack your question My girl is in Pri 1, and I have my PTM tomorrow and would appreciate if anyone could advice what to ask the teachers.

                      Thks Rds
                      since your kid is in p1 you might wana ask if she is adapting well in class, like does she always look happy or sad or indifferent. Then ask what's the school policy (esp on homework) for p1 because p1 is like a transition period. Just my opinions.

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • R Offline
                        requimrar
                        last edited by

                        mum03:
                        Hi Bowie,

                        Thats a very good Question, Sorry to hijack your question My girl is in Pri 1, and I have my PTM tomorrow and would appreciate if anyone could advice what to ask the teachers.

                        Thks Rds
                        Actually you can ask questions like \"Does she have many friends?\" or \"What does she do during recess?\" kind of questions, as this will indicate if she is getting along well with classmates. my DS is in P1 this year, and there was a PTC (Parent teacher conference) the other day. I found out that he was not going to the canteen during recess and instead staying in class. It's kinda like he's not socialising enough. If she has the same prob as my DS, then maybe you need a good talk.

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 8
                        • 9
                        • 10
                        • 11
                        • 12
                        • 13
                        • 14
                        • 10 / 14
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        sharonkhooS
                        sharonkhoo
                        thebottomsupblogT
                        thebottomsupblog

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy