Logo
    • Education
      • Pre-School
      • Primary Schools Directory
      • Primary Schools Articles
      • P1 Registration
      • DSA
      • PSLE
      • Secondary
      • Tertiary
      • Special Needs
    • Lifestyle
      • Well-being
    • Activities
      • Events
    • Enrichment & Services
      • Find A Service Provider
      • Enrichment Articles
      • Enrichment Services
      • Tuition Centre/Private Tutor
      • Infant Care/ Childcare / Student Care Centre
      • Kindergarten/Preschool
      • Private Institutions and International Schools
      • Special Needs
      • Indoor & Outdoor Playgrounds
      • Paediatrics
      • Neonatal Care
    • Forum
    • ASKQ
    • Register
    • Login

    Vegetables

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Health
    55 Posts 27 Posters 1.4k Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S Offline
      sleepy
      last edited by

      ooptimizer:
      But what if the parent also don't like to eat veggie?

      I remembered my mom forcing me to eat bean sprout. A traumatic childhood memory 😒

      Told my kids they can have the liberty to choose one veg that they absolutely wouldn't eat & that veg would be gone from their menu till they are emotionally ready. Other veg items, they have to try at least one tiny bite

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
      • A Offline
        autumnbronze
        last edited by

        What about fruits??


        When DS was ready for pureed and later solid food, he was on a vege, fruit, tofu, pulses diet first. Now he eats a wide variety of both.

        I always make sure he eats like 2 to 4 varieties of vege per meal.

        For fruits, I give avocado and tofu (the cold, used in dessert types), nectarines, peaches, dragonfruit etc.. apart from the other common fruits. I really shop for a variety when I do grocery. He eats fruits 4 times a day mostly and vege for both lunch and dinner. I give him meat mostly during dinner, sometimes for both meals.

        So far he has not exhibited any signs of fussiness. Though now that he has a sense of awareness (he is 2 and a half), he will say doesn't want when for example I tried to introduce him to dragonfruit. But I made it fun by asking him to count the black seed like thingees and soon he was eating away πŸ˜„

        I also feel that when you show them what they are going to eat, like brocolli and let them touch and feel them, it makes a lot of difference. l use some of the veges to make stamps for him to play with in paint during art. πŸ˜„ I teach him colours using the vege and fruits as well, like \"which is the green vege?? Oh brocolli, ok, now show me how do you pick it up and put it in your mouth to chew\" πŸ˜„ In my case, I say that 'familiarity encourages willingness to eat'

        I only started DS on fish when he was about 14 mths or so and chicken over 18 mths.

        Btw, DH is the fussy one. He doesn't like long beans, brinjals, stems of vege stems like cai xin etc.. DS hasn't noticed that yet, will cross the bridge when we arrive there.

        Yes I agree with simple2005. We may have to 'appear' to like vege/fruits even if we don't, in order to be a positive role model to our kids. πŸ˜„ πŸ˜„

        I sometimes wonder though whether there is a possibility of him being fussy later on as he grows older, despite me having tried my best in exposing him to fruits and veges.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • S Offline
          simple2005
          last edited by

          Oh yes, fruits of course.


          Parents count for more of the influence how a child treats vege and fruits. If parents faces light up and smile when a plate of sizzling oily meat comes, and treats vege-eating as something we all β€˜must’ do, then the message is clear, meat is good, vege must eat because we (parents) say so, then it becomes difficult for a child to naturally like veges over meat.

          Our family make it a point to look for mostly vegetables. And we do have all fruits for dinner and meals.

          Big boy takes lesser variety of fruits, but willing to try occasionally. 2nd one takes almost all kinds of fruits, but is fussy if the fruit isn’t good/fresh, he knows his stuff.

          Cheers.

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • B Offline
            blueblue
            last edited by

            I also train him to eat diff types since young. Now at 3, he simply loves his vegetable and fruits. He also liked colesaw and salad.


            I am pretty surprised he is even game to try chinese parsley. Thought it would be rather a strong tasting veg for him.

            One thing though, he never like to eat raw tomato. I never like to eat tomato too.

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
            • 2 Offline
              2ppaamm
              last edited by

              Yesterday, I made pasta. So I chopped all the veggies I want for the kids into the size of the minced meat, which means, you will end up thinking it is part of the minced meat. Then the tomato paste basically cover them all. Well, I cooked the whole packet of pasta. It finished.


              Lots of veggies went into the stomachs. Don’t know whether they know or not leh…

              1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • U Offline
                UncleLim
                last edited by

                2ppaamm:
                Yesterday, I made pasta. So I chopped all the veggies I want for the kids into the size of the minced meat, which means, you will end up thinking it is part of the minced meat. Then the tomato paste basically cover them all. Well, I cooked the whole packet of pasta. It finished.


                Lots of veggies went into the stomachs. Don't know whether they know or not leh...
                That is a good way too - Undercover Veggies !! πŸ˜„

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • FunzF Offline
                  Funz
                  last edited by

                  My kids went through a few phases.


                  From eating veges to not eating to eating selected veges to wanting to try most veges.

                  Basic rule at the dining table, you eat whatever is served to you. And we will naturally make sure that there are veges that are easy on the kids palate, like spinach, broccoli, carrots, cabbage.

                  Since DH and I are trying to change our eating habits, we have been having mainly veges for dinner, usually in the form of salads and DD is also starting to much on raw veges which in the past she never did want to try.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • JenniferJ Offline
                    Jennifer
                    last edited by

                    I always get compliments from strangers when they see my boys eating vegetables and I always wondered why the big fuss. Now I know.

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • S Offline
                      simple2005
                      last edited by

                      Jennifer:
                      I always get compliments from strangers when they see my boys eating vegetables and I always wondered why the big fuss. Now I know.

                      Haha... I get that sometimes, too.

                      It's kinda scary what many places serve for meals in Singapore, so much meat and hardly any vege.

                      Cheers,
                      Chubby

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                      • NebbermindN Offline
                        Nebbermind
                        last edited by

                        super_dad:
                        All kids hate them. Does yours? Mine finds it torturous to eat ladie's fingers. Dunno why....cos it is my favourite. Especially in curry fish head.

                        it's really gross....slimy and leathery at the sme time....YUCKS!!

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better πŸ’—

                        Register Login
                        • 1
                        • 2
                        • 3
                        • 4
                        • 5
                        • 6
                        • 4 / 6
                        • First post
                          Last post



                        Online Users
                        muhuntanM
                        muhuntan

                        Statistics

                        6

                        Online

                        211.2k

                        Users

                        34.5k

                        Topics

                        1.8m

                        Posts
                        Popular Topics
                        New to the KiasuParents forum? Tips and Tricks!
                        P1 Registration 2027 Changes
                        DSA Discussions and Strategies
                        PSLE Discussions and Strategies
                        How much do you spend on the kids' tuition/enrichments?
                        SkillsFuture course recommendations

                          About Us Contact Us forum Terms of Service Privacy Policy