All About Ballet
-
My girl just finished her G1 ballet exam yesterday. No stress and her teacher really prepared the girls well. Now back to once a week lesson.
-
Dilemma… DD is P5 this year. Just finished her G5 ballet exam and is progressing to G6. DD is also taking piano and another musical instrument. Also learning swimming. All classes are self requested by her and I have no intention of using any to DSA. Reason being she likes all of them but is only "Jack of all trades but master of none" haha… lol. Also, she didn’t like the DSA process.
Schoolwork is alright but I would say, could be better. She is a prefect, self disciplined and has no tuition. Top mainstream class in a GEP school but she is only lower-average in her class. Now, should I force her to drop ballet or one of her activities??? I know based on her tight schedule, she is already managing very well. But PSLE is next year… sigh.
Hubby said leave it… but we all know how important is PSLE… sigh… any parents’ advice? -
Oh My Gosh:
Dilemma... DD is P5 this year. ... ...
Hi OMG, my kids are not in P5 yet but I'd say leave it too. From the looks of it, you have a very well-rounded child who is independent and able to manage her interests and priorities well. I wish mine could be like that too! -
Oh My Gosh:
DD is P5 this year. Just finished her G5 ballet exam and is progressing to G6. DD is also taking piano and another musical instrument. Also learning swimming. All classes are self requested by her...Schoolwork is alright but I would say, could be better. She is a prefect, self disciplined and has no tuition. Top mainstream class in a GEP school but she is only lower-average in her class. Now, should I force her to drop ballet or one of her activities??? I know based on her tight schedule, she is already managing very well... we all know how important is PSLE... sigh... any parents' advice?
Hi, Just my 2 cents' worth... It's jolly fun to be busy in P5, but come P6 it seems more realistic to cut down on the number of activities; if not for more study-time, at least for more rest-time. For me, I'd say at least 1 P6 recreational sports is a must - stress relief. A \"lower-average in a GEP school top MS class\" translates to perhaps ~248 (that is, my school's case)? Then it's about managing expectations & dc's buy-in. I'd make my dc give up something, cos at the end of the day, I'd like dc to feel that the grades are justified cos she has tried and worked hard when she needed to. -
normally students give up ballet, at which Grade ?
-
Good day to all parents and dancers! For performances or examinations, you may require a piano accompanist to accompany various dances. As an experienced piano accompanist familiar with the lyrically classical to the dissonant contemporary Stravinskian dance forms, I am able to provide a musically thoughtful form of piano accompaniment at a reasonable rate. Should your child or yourself be interested in learning the piano, I am also willing to be a part of your child's foray into the music art-form. Feel free to contact me and I will be able to share my full curriculum vitae with you.
In addition, I have attained Distinctions (As) in the recent 2016 GCE A Level Examinations in H2 Music, H2 Chemistry, H2 Mathematics, and H2 Physics, and will be able to give my fullest advice and support to your child should he/she require assistance in their academic preparation towards examinations. Feel free to contact me:)
The following is a brief description of my musical experiences and achievements thus far:
Piano Performance:
- 2015: Fellow of the Royal Schools of Music (Piano Performance) - The Fellowship of the Royal Schools of Music is equivalent to a Masters’ Degree or Postgraduate qualification under UK’s National Qualification Framework
- 2015: Performed in a solo piano recital at the Esplanade Recital Studio
Music:
- Ministry of Education Music Elective Scholarship (2015, 16)
- Music Elective Programme, Top in Cohort (2011, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
- Music Director, Dunman High School String Ensemble (2015, 16)
Piano Accompaniment
- 2017: Accompanied violinist name omitted on the Piano at a Church performance (piece performed: Henri Wieniawski, Variations on an Original Theme)
- 2016: Accompanied violinist name omitted on the Piano at a performance organized by his Music School (piece performed: Pablo de Sarasate, Zigeunerweisen)
- 2016: Accompanied Chinese flute (Dizi) player name omitted on the Piano in H2 Music Practical GCE A Level Examinations in Dunman High School (piece played: Guan Ming, 兰花花)
- 2016: Accompanied double-bassist name omitted on the Piano at her DipABRSM examination
- 2016: Accompanied double-bassist name omitted on the Piano at her Royal Northern College of Music Audition
- 2015: Accompanied cellist name omitted on the Piano at her ABRSM Graded Examination
- 2014: Accompanied 2 double-bassists name omitted on the Piano at their ABRSM Graded Examinations
- 2013: Accompanied violinist name omitted on the Piano at a Violin Masterclass by Nicola Benedetti (piece performed: Felix Mendelssohn, Violin Concerto in E minor)
- 2013: Accompanied violist name omitted on the Piano at her ABRSM Graded Examination -
I'd like to share something the father of a dance student wrote in his blog:
[quote]The other night someone asked me \"Why do you pay so much money for your girls to dance?\"
Well I have a confession to make, I don't pay for dance. Personally, I couldn't care less about dance. I grew up in a family of 4 boys and no girls. The \"Nutcracker\" was something you did on a dare off of the high dive at the pool or something you unpleasantly surprised your brother with. Up until the day I met my wife if I were asked to go to Swan Lake I would have asked if we were water skiing or fishing.
So if I am not paying for dance what am I paying for? I pay for those moments when my daughters become so tired they want to quit but don't. I pay for those days when my daughters come home from school and are \"too tired\" to go dance but go anyway. I pay for my daughters to learn to be graceful. I pay for my daughters to learn to take care of their body. I pay for my daughters to learn to work with others and to be good teammates. I pay for my daughters to learn to deal with disappointment, when they don't get that part they hoped for, but still have to work hard at the part that they received. I pay for my daughters learn to make and accomplish goals. I pay for my daughters to learn that it takes hours and hours and hours and hours of hard work and practice to create something beautiful, and that success does not happen over night. I pay for the opportunity my daughters have and will have to make life long friendships. I pay so that my daughters can be on stage instead of in front of a screen...
I could go on but to be short, I don't pay for dance, I pay for the opportunities that dance provides my daughters to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the opportunity to bless the lives of others. From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!
I am sure that other parents get similar questions. \"Why do you pay for competitive baseball?\" \"Why do you pay for Quarterback training?\" \"Why do you pay for club soccer?\" \"Why does your kid swim year round?\".... I just think it is important to realize what we are really paying for.[/quote][Source: http://shadmartin.blogspot.sg/2015/10/why-i-dont-pay-for-dance-anymore.html] -
[list=][/list]
xuanting:
[Source: http://shadmartin.blogspot.sg/2015/10/why-i-dont-pay-for-dance-anymore.html][/quote]Thanks a lot for sharing!!I'd like to share something the father of a dance student wrote in his blog:
[quote]The other night someone asked me \"Why do you pay so much money for your girls to dance?\"
Well I have a confession to make, I don't pay for dance. Personally, I couldn't care less about dance. I grew up in a family of 4 boys and no girls. The \"Nutcracker\" was something you did on a dare off of the high dive at the pool or something you unpleasantly surprised your brother with. Up until the day I met my wife if I were asked to go to Swan Lake I would have asked if we were water skiing or fishing.
So if I am not paying for dance what am I paying for? I pay for those moments when my daughters become so tired they want to quit but don't. I pay for those days when my daughters come home from school and are \"too tired\" to go dance but go anyway. I pay for my daughters to learn to be graceful. I pay for my daughters to learn to take care of their body. I pay for my daughters to learn to work with others and to be good teammates. I pay for my daughters to learn to deal with disappointment, when they don't get that part they hoped for, but still have to work hard at the part that they received. I pay for my daughters learn to make and accomplish goals. I pay for my daughters to learn that it takes hours and hours and hours and hours of hard work and practice to create something beautiful, and that success does not happen over night. I pay for the opportunity my daughters have and will have to make life long friendships. I pay so that my daughters can be on stage instead of in front of a screen...
I could go on but to be short, I don't pay for dance, I pay for the opportunities that dance provides my daughters to develop attributes that will serve them well throughout their lives and give them the opportunity to bless the lives of others. From what I have seen so far I think it is a great investment!
I am sure that other parents get similar questions. \"Why do you pay for competitive baseball?\" \"Why do you pay for Quarterback training?\" \"Why do you pay for club soccer?\" \"Why does your kid swim year round?\".... I just think it is important to realize what we are really paying for.
Have exactly same sentiments!!
& my girl went through most of what is described! Eg even when she has fever/sick,she will still wana go for ballet lessons...
When she was picked as one of the main dancers for chinese dance performance/competition,she was delighted..,but when given minor role,she was disappointed,but i told her,everyone has their roles to play,it's about teamwork,everyone is important..she learned a lot through all these valuable lessons..
& she also learn piano(g4) & violin(g3 after learning 1yr,&she learn because didi is learning:)..progress is slow compared to many others,but i am not so concerned & all these extra do affect her studies(a bit,but still can get Merit Award yearly),but i strongly
Feel that these will benefit her overall..
Something like helps to cultivate some kind of 独特 气质 & 修养..haha! & also learn to manage her time effectively...
(Just my 2 cents:) -
Hi all. Just took my 10 year old daughter out from ballet class at crestar school of dance @ thomson plaza ' as the dance fees are very expensive and also i have not seen improvement ever since she joined early last year. She was previously in a ballet academy called first pointe located at kallang area but after we moved to yio chu kang we found it inconvient to send her to first pointe so changed to crestar. She told me last night that she wants to do ballet again so i am looking for a dance school and im clueless
she is doing grade 4 cstd ballet. anybody knows of good ballet coach / school around yio chu kang , ang mo kio area? -
Junangie:
Hi all. Just took my 10 year old daughter out from ballet class at crestar school of dance @ thomson plaza ' as the dance fees are very expensive and also i have not seen improvement ever since she joined early last year. She was previously in a ballet academy called first pointe located at kallang area but after we moved to yio chu kang we found it inconvient to send her to first pointe so changed to crestar. She told me last night that she wants to do ballet again so i am looking for a dance school and im clueless
she is doing grade 4 cstd ballet. anybody knows of good ballet coach / school around yio chu kang , ang mo kio area?
Dance pointe has a branch at Greenwich V at Yio Chu Kang/ Seletar. Can take a look.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login